Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 07 with 3k miles on it for my gf for her birthday. Bike looks/idles well (once warm).

Sounds fine, but is so rich. Sometimes feeding the throttle just kills the motor. Also down on power. Will only see 70 with me on it. (I'm big, 200 lbs or so but I've ridden along side 250's that had no problem hanging around at higher speeds then that).

Beautiful little bike but I can't trust her pulling out into traffic and having this thing not go.

Is the factory jetting junk? Should I suspect something much more serious?

Will be draining fuel, cleaning air filter, changing plugs and doing the standard oh shit stuff this coming weekend.

thanks in advance for any help!!!

-chris.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If it's an 07 with that few miles, chances are it sat for a long time. DO a full carb cleaning, and make sure to really get in there and clean the pilot jets. SeaFoam in the gas won't do it. Also, since you'll already be in the carbs, make sure you check / adjust the idle mixture screws. 2 or 2.5 turns out is a good base line for a stock 07.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it's an 07 with that few miles, chances are it sat for a long time. DO a full carb cleaning, and make sure to really get in there and clean the pilot jets. SeaFoam in the gas won't do it. Also, since you'll already be in the carbs, make sure you check / adjust the idle mixture screws. 2 or 2.5 turns out is a good base line for a stock 07.
+1. Adjust the mixture and sync the carbs.

What makes you think it's running rich? What kind of gas mileage do you typically get?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1. Adjust the mixture and sync the carbs.

What makes you think it's running rich? What kind of gas mileage do you typically get?

Floods really fast, plugs have wet fuel on them and exhaust reeks of (bad.. old...) gas.

I've ridden it for 1.6 miles. i'm not prepared to answer the mileage question. i'm going to say better then my cbr/audi but not as good as my schwinn.

thanks everybody for your advice thus far. I will check the valves this weekend, maybe just take it to a kawi dealer for the carb balance but I do see the carb balance guide for that bike and it looks pretty easy so might just do that at home as well. i'm pretty comfortable working with carbs.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
empty gas tank and refill with fresh gas, if you have not done so yet.

also, these bikes can take a long time to fully warm up (10 minutes or so) unless you richen the idle circuit.

it could be valves, but I doubt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts