Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the bike for 6 months/2000 miles and not had a problem.
Yesterday I pulled into a petrol station about 60 miles from home with the fuel light on and the fuel cap would not unlock. I tried it for a few minutes and gave up, resigning myself to either getting someone to bring me the spare key to try or getting recovered. Tried it once more and it opened fine. Filled up and rode home.

Anyone else had problems with it? (and a fix?)
I don't particularly want to fit an after-market one with another key to manage.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
Yesterday I pulled into a petrol station about 60 miles from home with the fuel light on and the fuel cap would not unlock. I tried it for a few minutes and gave up, resigning myself to either getting someone to bring me the spare key to try or getting recovered. Tried it once more and it opened fine. Filled up and rode home.

I don't particularly want to fit an after-market one with another key to manage.
Try to clean the locking mechanism, it's simple enough to take the fuel cap off but depending on the state of the ring seal might need to replace that, Main issue is it's right over the fuel tank otherwise I'd just blow it full of brake cleaner, then lube it with some powdered graphite. Apart from that how are you trying to open it? Almost all these tank caps require you to press down on the cap sometimes rather hard before trying to turn the key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was probably pushing down a bit but I was really just trying to open it how I've opened it before. I guess I've never had to think about it before - I've just popped the key in, turned it and it's opened. Except not this time.

And you're right about it being a difficult place to cover it with lube. I wouldn't want a big dollop of grease dropping in the tank.

I didn't want to mess with it too much while I was away from home yesterday but I'll have another look and see if I can free it up a bit later in the week.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
I was probably pushing down a bit but I was really just trying to open it how I've opened it before. I guess I've never had to think about it before - I've just popped the key in, turned it and it's opened. Except not this time.

And you're right about it being a difficult place to cover it with lube. I wouldn't want a big dollop of grease dropping in the tank.

I didn't want to mess with it too much while I was away from home yesterday but I'll have another look and see if I can free it up a bit later in the week.
You should be alright if you stuff a rag in the tank opening but you don't wanna use grease anyway. Just cleaners and graphite or some other metal suitable DRY lubricant. A bit of brake cleaner won't do any harm in the gas tank as it's largely the same as easy start sprays, obviously don't aim it there and put a rag on the tank but you don't need to sh*t your pants if a little goes in haha. I think first just see if pushing down on the cap before opening helps, and maybe wiggle the key around a bit to free up the locking mechanism. It's a typical wafer lock on these and they are pretty resistant to corrosion but also not very smooth at operating. I had to remove a seized pin from my lock too but only because I accidentally broke it trying to free it up...

·
Registered
53 Posts

Had the same problem with mine so I just replaced it with a non locking one. The seat lock also gives me problems

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Here's what I've done to every motorcycle I've owned. When the lock gets hard to operate, I'll flip the cap open and cover the entire tank with a towel/rags/thick sheet/whatever. Flip the lock down so it's resting on the cover. Get a good quality penetrating lubricant and give it a couple of good shots into the key slot, putting the tip of spray nozzle into the keyhole. Let it sit for several minutes, just make sure that the lock is saturated (you're trying to loosen any foreign gunk in there). Once it's had a chance to penetrate, you want to keep spritzing it into the lock from the top, flooding the cylinder and washing the gunk away. After that, a couple spritz a year will keep you going smoothly. Dry graphite is supposedly the best for lock, and it may be, but I've never used it. I've also never had any of my locks seize doing it my way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts