Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked and found some info about the 07 forks going on an 03-04, but not on the 05-06. I do know the front wheels are the same between 06 and 07, but the brake calipers and rotors are not. Has anyone done this? And where is the "swap master list" that people sometimes refer to? Sorry if that is an obvious question to everyone but me.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i think xtremewlr put 07 calipers on his bike. don't know what to tell you about the forks. it's probably possible.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
I've got 07 forks, wheels, and calipers on my 06. I'm using my original 06 rotors as well. The only difference in the front is that the 07 axle is shorter, so I just ground down the nut on my 06 axle to make it work.

Other than the axle, everything else on the front is interchangeable.

EDIT: I almost forgot, the steering stem on the 07 is way longer than the 06 (in case your wanting to completely swap the entire front end). The 06/07 upper and lower triple clamps are the same (they even have the same part numbers), but you will have to use the 06 steering stem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

That is some good information. I measured the 07 rotors and they are slightly thicker (maybe 0.7mm) than the 06, but the same diameter and bolt pattern, so they probably work on the 06 and 07 too. Do you know if the 06 calipers work on the 07 forks? Just asking cuz that's what I have to work with. And I presume that if you had used an 07 axle, you wouldn't have had to grind anything?

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
Your 06 calipers will bolt right on to the 07 forks. :thumbup:

The reason I made due with my 06 axle, instead of just buying an 07, is because I was really pressed for time on getting my bike back together for a trackday, :lol:. I've just left "well enough" alone since it works, lol. But, no, you wont have to touch a thing if you just use an 07 axle with 07 forks. :D

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
As for just the forks themselves, there isnt really a huge difference, at all, in feel over the 06 forks. The 07 forks do seem to have a bit stiffer spring (I'm using less preload since the swap), but the biggest difference is the placement of the spring, being inside the bottom of the fork, instead of the top like previous models. Thus, the spring stays submerged in oil constantly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I put a 2006 fork setup on my 2005 and the steering stem was to long also, Had to put a spacer in there to make them tighten down. I believe 06-07 were the same length. Longer then the 05's.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
06 and 07 steering stems are not the same length. Your sure 05 and 06 are not the same? Everything else between the 05 and 06 model is identical. :dunno:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
05 and 06 steering stems, clamps and forks are identical. Got a bunch of em here; can't tell em apart. The 05-06 ZX6RR forks are slightly different inside, but the same outside dimensions and they use the same clamps and stem. O7 forks are way different inside, but apparently interchangeable with 05-06.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
:D I thought so, I just didnt wanna be any bigger of a dick about it than I already was. :lol:

Reactions: itch808

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am in the process of a 2005-2008 zx6r fork and rim swap..has anyone done this before? wondering what the placement for mounting should be with the forks?

·
Registered
33 Posts
fork swap complete

Wanted to clear up some misinformation in this thread.

Just swapped 2007 forks onto my 06 ..rotors and calipers went on as well.

to mr.croom
the axles are the same on both models...I measured them an looked the microfishe..same part number

the upper triple is not the same part number ..IT WILL NOT FIT...since it is thicker around the stearing nut ( you may be able to make it work if using the 07 lowers since the stem is longer as stated)

The 07 forks are in fact a bit longer, so you can raise them accordingly..otherwise its a straight swap, and a big improvement for my riding weight ~150 pounds.

also highly recommend the 06 zx6rr shock dogbones/pivot. together with the front fork this combo makes the bike track much smoother and not skip but float over bumps....This just rocks and I've had 2 of these bikes basically brand new and have been riding almost 20 years..I would have dumped this bike if not for this swap.

enjoy and good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.