Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an 07 radial master cylinder on my 03 zx6r. It appears that the brake line fitting coming off the master cylinder will interfere with the throttle cables. Can the throttle cable assembly be rotated to accomodate with no ill effects?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i'm pretty sure it can. loosen it and try, it shouldn't affect anything but the throttle position.

that'll just be an issue of getting used to it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I remember correct, throttle assembly is locked to the handlebar with a pin, so you won't have very much room for movement.
i was thinking of such because last night i loosened the two screws that hold the two halves of the throttle cable housing together and lightly tried to rotate it with no success. a lot of people have put the later MC on the 03-04 so someone has to have some input on what they did.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try to move / rotate the master cylinder a bit? Throttle housing should be the same on all models.
That would raise the lever to an unacceptable location for comfort as well as conflicting with the upper fairing stay. My new brake lines should be here today or tomorrow and I will try to sort it out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If I remember correct, throttle assembly is locked to the handlebar with a pin, so you won't have very much room for movement.
If you pull it apart I beleive there is a plastic pin in the housing that fits into the clip on. You should be able to break this pin off if you want to be able to rotate it a little bit more. It should still fit snugly after you tighten up the screws again.

I did this on my suzuki and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you pull it apart I beleive there is a plastic pin in the housing that fits into the clip on. You should be able to break this pin off if you want to be able to rotate it a little bit more. It should still fit snugly after you tighten up the screws again.

I did this on my suzuki and haven't had any problems.
there is a pin on the throttle cable housing that inserts into a hole in the clipon. i'm going to file down the pin to rotate the housing to where i need it. i'll report back when/if everything still functions properly upon completion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
yea what your gonna have to do it find a drill bit that is around the same size as the nob on the twist grip and drill a new hole. i had to do the same to fit my brembo master on my bike. you also usually need to do the same to mock up race body work. especially if you have clip-ons.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea what your gonna have to do it find a drill bit that is around the same size as the nob on the twist grip and drill a new hole. i had to do the same to fit my brembo master on my bike. you also usually need to do the same to mock up race body work. especially if you have clip-ons.
AHAH! I was thinking totally inside the box, just gonna hack it off. Thanks for this suggestion!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It was a PIA to make everything fit and have the brake lever comfortable for me. Rotated the throttle cable housing up by redrilling the set hole in the clipon to the new location, relocating the throttle cables BEHIND the fork tube. That put the throttle cable housing in front of my start button, so I rotated that assembly around using the same method. Finally locating the brake MC with the banjo fittings and brake light switch plug clearing everything. The throttle cable housing, where the throttle cables come out just barely kiss the frame at full lock. The steering stop makes solid contact so I'm just going to live with it.

Thanks for all the input, REP has been spread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts