Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everybody is tired of this, but I need your help - I don't have warranty. I took my bike to the dealer for the infamous noise and oil leak before the warranty ran out. They fixed the oil leak and said they couldn't hear any ticking - who can't. Anyway, the warranty ran out and the ticking kept up. I've probably put another 2500 miles on the bike since. The difference is I can only hear the ticking on initial start-up and throughout the warm-up. I've had a couple of Jiffy Store trips without a helmet and the noise kept up. The difference, I guess, is that I never hear it through the helmet! Since then, I've adjusted the idle to 1700 rpm's and the tick went away. I haven't tried it without a helmet, but nothing on start-up or through the warm up.

The question: Am I just lucky or is the failure inevitable? Or maybe some one can explain why changing the idle has caused the tick to go away? Please help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine started ticking loudly too and lasted for a few thousand miles...turned out to be the cam chain. Once the automatic tensioner clicked up a notch, it quited down a whole lot. It took a lot longer than I expected though, but I'd bet that's your problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts