Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike will not start for some reason and it is starting to get to me. It primes and cranks over but will not fire up.

I put a new battery in my bike in June after the previous one died over the winter. It started right up and I rode it for a few days before parking it again for a few days. I went back out to ride again and now it will not start. I have taken the tank off, drained gas, refilled with new gas, cleaned air filter, and it will not start. I thought I might have gotten some water in my gas because the bike was outside during a rainstorm when I forgot to put it in the garage before it started raining.

What would be the most likely reason that it will not start? Could the plugs be bad? Could something else be causing my problem? I have tried to check everything but it will not fire.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
well, i would check your plugs for spark, and also if it is getting fuel. could be a kickstand switch. also check all your fuses. the rain normally shouldnt be a problem. how long before this was it that you had the bike running?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
if it did get water in the tank then when you tried to start it you may have filled the fuel pump with water , i would probably unhook the fuel line and turn the key off and on to cycle the pump , it should be very easy to see if there is water in it because the water will separate from the gas..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update to my problem:

I have taken the bike most of the way apart. I dumped the fuel and put in fresh gas, changed the spark plugs, put in a new battery, checked all the fuses, cleaned the fuel pump, unhooked the pump from the fuel rail to make sure it is pumping, unhooked and cleaned all the fuel lines.

I can get the bike to start by spraying starter fluid into it while attempting to start it but as soon as the fluid burns off it sputters and dies. My only thought is that the injectors are clogged up and no fuel is getting into the motor. I am going to hook the top injector rail up to an air compressor and see if I can blow whatever might be in there out. My only problem there is that I can't get the lower injector rail off if that is my problem.

Does anyone else have a thought as to what might be my problem?

Any ideas are appreciated....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dude i have to ride my bike everyday to work and i rode my bke in the rain plus sat in the rain per hours and no water inside (more than 1 time), i dont think is water. did you do any mod latetly that you can think off, before the problem started?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't done any mods to it at all.

I am thinking it is the injectors because I cleaned a bunch of crap out of the filter and I imagine that some got through and clogged the injectors. I have the top rail off right now trying to clean it out with carb cleaner and an air compressor but don't think it's going to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pumped the fuel line by turning the key on and off about 10 times. Should that be enough to clear the pump of any water? I also added some sea foam to try to help if there is water in there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
was your filter really that bad? i mean i had like a 1000 bugs in my 06 when i changed it out and never had a problem and i have ridden in some really bad thunderstorms and never had an issue, i drove home in like a freakin downpour at like 75... so bad my knuckles and arms were bleeding from the rain and my bike sat outside for 3 years, and never had a water issue..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, my above reference to a filter was my fuel pump/filter.

Well I got it to start on it's own and sputter for a few seconds. I was holding the throttle wide open and it got up to about 6000 rpms, then it started to sputter and died. I am starting to think that I hadn't gotten all the water out of the pump and also I might have put too much HEET in the tank. I just added some fresh gas after pumping most of the old out and am now waiting for the battery to charge back up some more before I try to start it again.

I also think that the seal on my gas cap is bad because that is the only way rain could get in there and also when I took the tank off and set it upside down, there was significant leakage.

Progress but I'm not there yet...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got it to start a few times last night. I drained the tank and cycled the pump to get everything out last night and after work today I am going to pick up some fresh gas and see if I can get it to actually stay running. I sooo want to start riding it again, it's been waaay too long.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions, I'm not much of a mechanic and what work I have done on bikes was on my former bike, a 07 R6.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am now having same problems starts and cuts out. Full choke open still nothing ??I have orderd new plugs to see if that helps. New petrol to pour in. My ninja has never sat in the rain at all. And always hand washer dry thow. Any help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts