Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my GF hasn't ridden the bike in about a week or so. I went out to start it and it will not start. It will crank, and somewhat stay running with the choke fully engaged. What's up? Gas is @ 1/4 tank, so that's not it. Anyone else have any problems with this?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have tried several. It will stay running at full, but when I give it gas, it's very slow to respond. I push choke back to where it should be, and it dies every time. It ran just fine the last time it was ridden. It has me stumped. It's so new, why would anything be wrong with it already?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's possible.With all the places and the ethanol. But the gas is tested and said to be 100% gas. Not that water couldn't be in it,though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't even know where her petcock was. Haha, On my CBR it's right by the idle control. Should I put it on primer, then start, or prime,back to original position?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have tried several. It will stay running at full, but when I give it gas, it's very slow to respond. I push choke back to where it should be, and it dies every time. It ran just fine the last time it was ridden. It has me stumped. It's so new, why would anything be wrong with it already?
Did you let it warm up with the choke on (all the way) for a few minutes?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did let it warm up a few minutes with choke on.

I just tried the prime thing. It started, but died shortly. I've since then tried various methods, choke on/off with petcock on/prime. Still acting about the same.

Ok, I thought this posted but it didn't, haha So:

I got it to run on it's own-No choke, in the ON position. But, when throttle is given it wants to die, if I give it a good flick, it does die. If I gradually give it gas, it will rev as high as I want.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried that, didn't start with it @ WOT.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No modifications to the bike, other than suspension. Weather has gotten a bit cooler than last ride, but not drastically. Mid 70's, currently. Perfect riding weather!!

I thought about adding some more gas, and possibly some Lucas, or other brand of treatment. I hope it's not a fouled plug,already.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help,and I will definitely keep you updated as to what's done, and happens.

As far as the idle, no it doesn't really seem normal to me at all. It's somewhat rough, but again I'm used to my CBR idle, not hers so much. She's not here to tell me if it's normal or not. I'm going to let it sit a bit, and later let it run for a good 10 minutes and go from there.

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
1/4" tank? according to what? the gauge? they are notoriously wrong/inaccurate.

add some more fuel. start it on PRI, once it starts turn it to ON, and let it warm up for 5 min or so.

choke..where it needs to be to start..what 3/4-full? whatever it takes...

also sounded like once running, blipping it killed it..due to it not being warmed up. but add some more fuel, you are OUT of gas.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's NOT out of gas. I will add more tomorrow afternoon along with some treatment,regardless.

I ran it around the neighborhood for a good 15 minutes.

Symptoms now are this:
The RPM's remain high, even with the idle control set low...the RPM's will drop to about 1200 or so, and then it acts as if it wants to die.

When the RPM's are up at idle ~2-3k or so, and I give it a good flick, the RPM's jump (not like they should) and then the RPM's slowly tach back down.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wouldn't put treatment in the gas, if it needs repaired at the dealer, they could blame the treatment for any problems that are fuel related.

If you can ride for 15 minutes, I doubt it is out of gas.
But you would be very surprised what these things can do when they are starved for fuel.

FYI never trust a fuel gauge

·
Registered
24 Posts
When the weather turned colder here my bike did the same thing. Here's the cure:

I was having trouble starting my stock 08 Ninja. It would start ok when the weather was warm, but as soon as it turned colder, it would start very weakly and sputter out. I was totally unable to use the choke....turning it on made the bike stall immediately.

Everyone told me the new 08 was a "cold beast".

Anyway, my ex is a licensed Kawasaki Mechanic (no longer works at a dealer) and I let him at my bike.

He took the carbs out of my current 08 and drilled out the plug barring access to the fuel mixture screws. They were set at 1.5 turns and 1.75 turns respectively. He turned both up to 2.5 turns and now the bike starts great and I can use the choke perfectly. My bike is completely 100% stock with stock exhaust. This is the way it should have been dialed from the factory.

Hope this helps anyone having the same problem I did!

And by the way, have fun getting the carbs out! ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
1/4" tank? according to what? the gauge? they are notoriously wrong/inaccurate.

add some more fuel. start it on PRI, once it starts turn it to ON, and let it warm up for 5 min or so.

choke..where it needs to be to start..what 3/4-full? whatever it takes...

also sounded like once running, blipping it killed it..due to it not being warmed up. but add some more fuel, you are OUT of gas.
beat me to it. put in some gas. j

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just leave the choke open for a while and ride away. Close it a few Ks down the road and check the idle at the next stop.

You've probably messed with the idle knob on the side while it's cold so you've fucked up the bikes normal idle.

Set the idle when it's warm to around 1350-1450rpm. (Not 1250 like the manual suggests)

Full choke to start. Leave it on while you ride for a while. It'll be fine.

Be aware that if you forget your choke is on the bike will rev it's tits off at junctions and may take you by surprise when pulling out.

The manual gives instructions for warming the bike up and closing the choke before riding away but you don't have to do it this way and in your case, as in mine, it probably won't work.

I had the same trouble as you. My bike is sweet now.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Make sure you don't have a kink in the choke or throttle cables and that they are adjusted correctly. I doubt it's that, but it will at least rule out one possibility.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Did you feed the squirrel? just hide some peanuts under the seat and give it an hour or two.A secret of mine is to mix some expresso beans in with them.My bike screams at ludicrous speeds now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
re: my bike won't start

hi all, my bike 08 ninja 250 won't start, the last time I started it about 7 days ago had a hard time starting but it started after letting the starter run until it start. Now I almost drained the battery and still nothing.

Edit: Merged threads. Topics are very simliar --Bob Bobson

1 - 20 of 35 Posts