Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is somewhat generic for all bikes, but this guy on YouTube is showing how to do this on an '08 250, so I thought I'd include it here. Besides, there are so many first time bike owners, like myself, that could use a good tutorial.

I didn't really need it for the chain lube, but I wasn't sure how to adjust or measure the slack. Hopefully I'm not duplicating the video on here. I did a quick search and didn't find it on the 250 forum.

Enjoy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5_JbLx2Bw

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just so happens that I'm close to rolling past 600 miles this week and I wanted to check the chain. Coincidence???? I think the Kawi gods are looking out for me :D

Thanks,

·
Registered
558 Posts
you can put a piece of cardboard inbetween the chain and the tire so when you spray it does not get on your wheels or tires. chain lube is sticky and difficult to clean, and you definitly dont want that on your tires!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have found that when the axle bolt is tightened, the chain will also tighten a little. You will need to adjust the chain to be just a little looser, then tighten the axle bolt and everything will tighten up together. It took me several tries to get the chain perfect. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good find for the DIY types.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have found that when the axle bolt is tightened, the chain will also tighten a little. You will need to adjust the chain to be just a little looser, then tighten the axle bolt and everything will tighten up together. It took me several tries to get the chain perfect. Hope this helps.
SDlexus, what year is your bike?

Before tightening the bolt for the axle, try spinning the rear wheel in a forward direction by hand then jam on the rear brake. This action will force the adjuster forward and flush with the axle and the back of the swing arm. Then, before you tighten the axle bolt, stick a wrench between the rear sprocket and chain and make it taught by turning the rear wheel to try and get the wrench to go between the two. Doing this will take out all slack in the chain and insure the adjuster is pulled tight against the back of the swing arm. Then tighten the axle bolt to spec.

Don't forget to remove the wrench after you're done. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you guys adjust your chain on a rear stand? When adjusting my chain on my RR I always have it on the ground. Is there a difference?
As far as cleaning the chain I use Kerosene and a rag. Gets the chain super clean and don't harm the o rings. The give it a good lube.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts