Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, here's a puzzler for you! My 2008 250R is running on only one cylinder. It doesn't appear to be doing it during one certain time or event. Here's what I've done in this order:

-Drained the float bowls
(When I drained the bowls I found a little bit of trash particles)
-Drained the tank
-New spark plugs
-Fresh gas

Ran good for a few miles.. then back down to one cylinder like it was before. So I went more in depth:

-Pulled the carbs
-Cleaned all the jets, hoses, pipes, bowls
-Cleaned everything with carb cleaner

Ran great last night. Cranked it up today... Running on one again.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is anything electrical. I would take it to a dealership but I can't afford for it to not be covered by warranty. I'm a broke college student.

Bright ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
720 Posts
check both ignition coils and check for sparks. It sounded like fuel/carb wasn't the problem since you did all that?? After the check, I would just bring it into the dealer...You have a year warranty right? Why won't they cover?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cleaned out the pilots. Didn't look clogged to begin with.

No it doesn't run on both on idle. It will generally catch both above 8k but before that it generally doesnt. When I first drained the bowls it looks like small rust particles that could've been from some stirred up old tank from a gas station.

Ignition coils was going to be my next check but I have to get it back home first. (out of town right now) They may cover it. But if they don't cover it.. I honestly can't even afford the $85 or so for the diagnostics for them to find out what is wrong and it not be a warranty problem.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the coils...

but im gonna say its the pilot jet.

its a VERY tiny hole, and easily clogged.

how many jets did u pull, and clean?
Took all four jets out including mains and pilots.. sprayed them clean. Could see light through them all even before I cleaned.

By one cylinder, do you mean rough? When you say you cleaned everything, did you check the fuel filter?

Edit: Go Horns!
And yes rough. But I can tell you it is literally running on one cylinder. The right hand one (if you're sitting on the bike). Filter screen was fine. Even added an in-line fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Can you just go down to the dealership and have it looked at under warranty?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you just go down to the dealership and have it looked at under warranty?
If its a warranty problem after they look at it, then the diagnostics portion will be covered. But if they look at it and find out its not a warranty issue, it will cost me the diagnostics. And I just honestly can't afford that right now. So that's why I havent dropped it off. Even if I do that, I might not see my bike for over a month. The dealerships around here are all backed up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If its a warranty problem after they look at it, then the diagnostics portion will be covered. But if they look at it and find out its not a warranty issue, it will cost me the diagnostics. And I just honestly can't afford that right now. So that's why I havent dropped it off. Even if I do that, I might not see my bike for over a month. The dealerships around here are all backed up.
did you foul a plug? is a wire lose on the coil for that side? does the throttle cable open both butterflies/carbs? or are the carbs badly out of sync?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced the plugs. Haven't gotten to the wiring yet but going to tomorrow. Throttle assembly appeared to be opening both when it was apart. Possible that they are out of sync. But I don't think bad enough to drop a whole cylinder.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Replaced the plugs. Haven't gotten to the wiring yet but going to tomorrow. Throttle assembly appeared to be opening both when it was apart. Possible that they are out of sync. But I don't think bad enough to drop a whole cylinder.
when i worked on my carbs for my brute force 650. the carbs were out of sync. and boy did it run like shit. i adjusted the sync screw and fuel screws until they both ran good. you would be surprised at how quickly and badly carbs out of sync make the cylinders run. if all this does help. i would do a compression/leak check on the cylinder. you might have a piston ring problem and if so? $$$$$$$$. sorry but my son's kfx450 had rings stuck to the piston and we checked everthing before bringing it to the dealer. when we did bring it to the dealer after 1 month and a whole new top end, $2000. ouch.
good luck and hope you fix it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I've got a list of stuff to check and do. Just gonna take some time to get to everything. I appreciate the ideas and help!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
damn, I thought we fixed this last night!

have you drained the bowls again to see what might have collected since last night? try draining them and collect the gas in a paper cup so you can see what comes out. could someone have put something in your gas tank? how did you drain the tank out? did you actually take it off and turn it upside down to make sure everything was out of there or did you just drain from the petcock?

when it's "running on one cylinder", like you think it's doing, have you tried pulling off the plug wire on the suspected bad cylinder to see if doing so makes any difference at all? if it makes no difference, you might have a spark problem. if it runs even worse with one cylinder not connected, I would suspect a fuel problem.

I'm trying to figure out if you have a fuel contamination problem or an intermittent spark problem.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn, I thought we fixed this last night!

I'm trying to figure out if you have a fuel contamination problem or an intermittent spark problem.
Lol Then we're in the same boat! I'm planning on checking spark and wires tomorrow. I thought I fixed it too! But nope. Will drain the bowls again tomorrow also and check again. Tank has that key lock on there so I can't imagine anyone putting something in there since I'm the only one that opens it. Emptied tank with a hose through the top cause it was still on the bike at the time.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come on Aggies...let do things right the first time :)

UT rules!
Hah.. yeah yeah.. laugh it up funny man! Whos won the past two years? And going for a third? Mmhmm.. Thanks and Gig' Em!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hmm I don't see why would it not be under warranty..stock warranty is 12 months. Why would it not be covers its a BRAND NEW BIKE?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I had a dealership tell me something like if they tore it apart and found that it was something in the carbs and not a problem with the carbs themselves. Then it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Or if they found wear on wires or water in wires or plugs that wasn't a manufacturer's defect. Then it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll say either Plugs, wires or a bad coil.. Have you pulled the plugs yet? Are they new plugs or the same ones that came with the bike?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts