Votes: 24 44.4%
  • ZX-10R

Votes: 30 55.6%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I don't post all that often here, but I'm going to be moving from my '05 ZX-6R, in the next few weeks or so, up to a literbike and thought I'd get the opinion of some here.

While the bikes are in the same performance category, I, nor most on this or on any board, for that matter, have the skill to fully exploit either of them to their full potential. As such, the choice essentially comes down to Ducati styling vs. Kawasaki pricing.

In my opinion, the 1098/1198 is the most beautiful bike I've laid eyes on, and its got the benefit of being an Italian exotic which means you won't see them all the time. The ZX-10R looks incredibly aggressive, especially in black, and will cost me just over half of what the Duc will at about $9.5k vs. $16.5.

What would you choose?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would get the new R1. But if I had to choose between the ones you have listed, the Kawi would be for me. I love the Duc, but looking at both the performance and price, the Kawi would get the sale.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know if I'd be getting the Duc it'd be a garage queen ;cause i know for damn sure i couldn't afford to lay nearly 17k down on the street.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would get the new R1. But if I had to choose between the ones you have listed, the Kawi would be for me. I love the Duc, but looking at both the performance and price, the Kawi would get the sale.
I've considered it, but the styling is questionable in my opinion. Of course I've yet to see one in person... But the new motor does sound intriguing. The reviews I've read state that its not gimmick, it connects the rider to the bike in a way never before felt.

But, at $12,499... I'm only a few grand off of the 1198.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ducati if you dont mind maintenance and reliability issues, parts availability/pricing.

Otherwise, kawi.

I would still prefer the 09 R1.
Oh yea...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ducati if you dont mind maintenance and reliability issues, parts availability/pricing.

Otherwise, kawi.

I would still prefer the 09 R1.
Oh yea...
Regarding reliability, Ducati has a basic 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty which can be extended to 5 years, unlimited mileage... Just like the Kawi. So reliability isn't really an issue. Routine maintenance, obviously, would be more.

Anyone with an '08 ZX-10R have any input as to routine maintenance costs? Is there anything you have to do routinely that I should be aware of, other than standard oil/filter change?

·
Registered
537 Posts
The warranty thing is great as long as the parts you need are in the states if they have to be ordered have fun with that. I know when my motor went on my Aprilia sxv450 took just short of 2 months to get the parts for it. Don't get me wrong it was great when it ran but defiantly a second bike and not one to depend on for trips or such.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Regarding reliability, Ducati has a basic 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty which can be extended to 5 years, unlimited mileage... Just like the Kawi. So reliability isn't really an issue. Routine maintenance, obviously, would be more.

Anyone with an '08 ZX-10R have any input as to routine maintenance costs? Is there anything you have to do routinely that I should be aware of, other than standard oil/filter change?
Reliability has nothing to do with the warranty.

Yeah, they will fix it, but that doesn't mean it will not break.

If you don't mind being out of a bike for a long time while they fix stuff, then go ahead. I do like them, they are kick ass.
But, not that reliable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The warranty thing is great as long as the parts you need are in the states if they have to be ordered have fun with that. I know when my motor went on my Aprilia sxv450 took just short of 2 months to get the parts for it. Don't get me wrong it was great when it ran but defiantly a second bike and not one to depend on for trips or such.
That was my point.
Awesome performance, when it's working.

If something breaks (and it usually does on them), you will be out of a bike for a while.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Read this its pretty interesting might put you more on the zx10 side, ducs are nice and sound good but price and maintenance wise jap all the way. also i see alot of comments on the new r1i think the r1's look sick but don't look like there doing to hot in the side by side comparison just my thoughts hope it helps.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2008-literbike-shootout-78761.html

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
The '09 R1 is a completely different bike from the '08 and according to what i have been reading is an incredible machine.
I wouldnt buy any non japanese bike except for maybe a Triumph.
They make the best,most reliable bikes....period.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ok, well I am in the same situation. Looking for the new r1/zx10/1198. I had an 06 zx10. I just sat on all of them this weekend and the 1198 gets my vote for styling and comfort (given that none of them are designed for comfort). It is quite bad ass in person. Now I am not trying to knock all of you who bring up the reliability issues with the ducati, but how many of you have owned them? I have not, so I cannot speak on the matter. But, with those people that I know that do have them I have not heard nearly as many problems as people make it sound. From what I have been told the reliability thing was many years ago and due to poor owner compliance with maintenance rather than the bike. However, it seems that many of these issues have been resolved. Anyway it's always going to cost a little more for the parts and what not with the ducati. But according to long time riders, they say that the cost is not much more than a jap in a long run. (ducati has more frequent services, but shorter). In any event I would appreciate if no one would jump down my throat about this post. Just passing on info I have been told from some ducati owners I know. All i know is the ducati is sexy and you would surely stick out from the crowd of new r1 owners. And, hell if you are going to drop 12,500 on an r1 what's another 4K for the duc. Just eat more ramen noodle for a while...lol.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If I was in this situation, and I am not, I'd just ask myself why would I get the Ducati. I'm assuming this would be a base 1198 and not an S model. So if the ZX-10R is faster, more affordable, and more reliable....is the only reason to get the Duc to be "different" and exotic? Is that worth the extra money and the risk of something going wrong? ZX-10R's are selling for killer prices right now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those interested, I'm leaning towards the 10R at the moment... I've been reading about the issues with Ducati dealers and servicing the bikes (thanks reds and got2go) and it gives me cause for concern. Not to mention that Ducati dealers aren't as numerous as Kawasaki which means some of the locations I may be stationed in the near future are further than 3 hours away from a point where the bike could be serviced.

I still haven't made a final decision, but the input I've recieved thus far has certainly been helpful.

·
F'ing Catilina Wine Mixer
1,466 Posts
i vote 1198 if you are a single Marine and got lots of deployment money! :)

but if your me 1 sgt with a wife and no kids but 2 cars and a zx6r, i would get the 10.

i love the ducati though!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts