Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if anyone had removed their upper fairing without removing the whole front end. I was told that I had to remove the whole front end, remove the headlight in order to remove the upper left and right fairings.:confused:

Does anyone know of an easier way? Feedback would be appreciated.:D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well, you shouldnt have to remove the whole front end to get the uppers off. The headlight and the black center nose piece should stay on after the 2 left and right uppers have been removed. I havent removed mine myself but have the the pics of it that way. Let me see if I can find a pic for ya

Looks like the center nose piece comes off know that I see it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you shouldnt have to remove the whole front end to get the uppers off. The headlight and the black center nose piece should stay on after the 2 left and right uppers have been removed. I havent removed mine myself but have the the pics of it that way. Let me see if I can find a pic for ya

Thanks. Looks like l will have to remove the front cowl assembly and remove the headlight first.

·
Banned
347 Posts
You have to remove the windscreen, 6 bolts,

The remove the instrument cluster AND mirrors, disconnecting the wires and quick rivets.

You have to remove the inner fairing trim pieces, the fairing lowers and center pieces.

There is also a plastic rivet under the middle below the headlights that will "get ya" if you ain't lookking for it.

Then 2 hex bolts each side. The lights stay bolted on and do not need disconnected from wiring harness or the frame.

There is no other way. Both side pieces and black center piece then come off as a unit. Cannot be taken apart until removed from the bike.

A lot of work and a lot of hassle, but after doing it a couple of times you will get use to it and it goes quick.

JJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to remove the windscreen, 6 bolts,

The remove the instrument cluster AND mirrors, disconnecting the wires and quick rivets.

You have to remove the inner fairing trim pieces, the fairing lowers and center pieces.

There is also a plastic rivet under the middle below the headlights that will "get ya" if you ain't lookking for it.

Then 2 hex bolts each side. The lights stay bolted on and do not need disconnected from wiring harness or the frame.

There is no other way. Both side pieces and black center piece then come off as a unit. Cannot be taken apart until removed from the bike.

A lot of work and a lot of hassle, but after doing it a couple of times you will get use to it and it goes quick.

JJ
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. One more question, how do you push the pins out from the quick rivets that mounts the side fairings and the black bottom center faring? I can barely put my finger in there to push the quick rivet pins. Do you use a flat screwdriver to push the pins out?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. One more question, how do you push the pins out from the quick rivets that mounts the side fairings and the black bottom center faring? I can barely put my finger in there to push the quick rivet pins. Do you use a flat screwdriver to push the pins out?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Those plastic rivets have fooled many. When there are properly installed, to get them out you have to push in the middle. I usually use a small phillips screwdriver or a pick, or even a nail would work well. The center piece will push in "deeper" than flush and it will pop and after that you use your finger nails to pry it out.

As I stated in a previous post there is one that will get ya if you dont know to look for it. If you hand is on top of the fender, look straight up. It locks the fairing into the bottom of the airbox assembly.

The 2 side pieces and the center black piece CANNOT be disassembled from the bike seperately. Those 3 pieces have to be removed as a unit, then you can seperate them after taking them off the bike. Those parts are held together with screws and you can't get to the screws with the parts mounted on the bike.

JJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Do you have a shot from saddle point of view? I would like to see which bolts I have take off. did you have to remove the instrument cluster too? Or, can you give me the sequence the way you took your fairings off?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Do you have a shot from saddle point of view? I would like to see which bolts I have take off. did you have to remove the instrument cluster too? Or, can you give me the sequence the way you took your fairings off?

Thanks
Its not my bike man, sorry!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I started on mine and then stopped.. Glad I did because there was no way I was going to finish it before it got dark hahaha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts