Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a zx6r that sat for 2 years, I have flushed the fuel line replaced the fuel pump did an oil change and replaced the spark plugs. When the bike starts it will not idle over 1000 rpm’s. And when I pull the throttle the engine dies. Can someone please help me figure this out?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you clean the fuel injectors separately in an injector cleaning machine? A good motorcycle shop, especially one that does a lot of engine performance mods, will have such a machine.

Jim G

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
45 Posts
So I have a zx6r that sat for 2 years, I have flushed the fuel line replaced the fuel pump did an oil change and replaced the spark plugs. When the bike starts it will not idle over 1000 rpm’s. And when I pull the throttle the engine dies. Can someone please help me figure this out?
This is a very low grade video I (tried) to make of the fix I used to get rid of the bogging down issues I and others have experienced...

Hope it helps.. there's more info in the video description

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a very low grade video I (tried) to make of the fix I used to get rid of the bogging down issues I and others have experienced...

I have a brand new fuel pump.

I have a brand new fuel pump. I was able to start it and ride for an hour. Then the following day it started but would only idle at 1000rpms. As soon as I touch the throttle it shut off.

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
45 Posts
fuel injectors are cleaned.
Other things I checked....(there's a lot of things on this list but your problem sounds different to most)
Ic on the ignition line... faulty tip over sensor (annoying to test with a vault meter if you're alone working on the bike)

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
45 Posts
fuel injectors are cleaned.
Have you cleaned the tank inside, as in physically scrubbed it out and cleaned out any deposits...especially if the tank still had some fuel and then sat for 2 years...

Also check the voltage of the pump before starting the bike, check if its range for the specs the manual gives you..

Check and clean the ground/earth connections while you're at it...

·
39,963 Posts
I was able to start it and ride for an hour. Then the following day it started but would only idle at 1000rpms.
This leads me to believe that there is still something in the fuel system that is giving you grief. Did you clean ALL of the fuel system (tank, lines, injectors, filter, rail, etc.) and replace the pump at the same time, or did you do it in stages where debris/gunk may have moved further down stream?

Reactions: Jekyllzx6r

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
45 Posts
This leads me to believe that there is still something in the fuel system that is giving you grief. Did you clean ALL of the fuel system (tank, lines, injectors, filter, rail, etc.) and replace the pump at the same time, or did you do it in stages where debris/gunk may have moved further down stream?
Excellent point ... In retrospect doing it in stages, testing it after individual fix probably extended the time to resolve the problem.

I cleaned the filter and tank AND did the baking soda dump on one day , having done all the other steps previously with the only exception being the baking soda. There was definitely some crap in the tank which would have more than likely caused the problem to resurface regardless of having cleaned the filter/strainer - assembly and upper filter - and the fuel pump motor itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts