Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just as the title says, here are the 09 CRB 1K Tokico monoblocks.
It has been said that these perform on par with the Brembo monoblock M4's.
I was able to pick them up cheap and adapt them to the Kawi forks relatively easy.
I used a modified Honda 5mm spacer. Part # 51497-MEL-D20

It's somewhat dark in my garage so forgive the shadowy pictures.
On with the pics:

1. Tokico monoblocks off an 09 CBR 1K

2. Calipers mounted with 5mm spacers

3. Black rear caliper off 08 ZX6 to match fronts, and relocated rear MC reservoir(completely hidden with plastics on)

· Registered
871 Posts
I'm missing the braided hoses... getting one-piece calipers but using them with rubber lines is just funny... get some proper brake lines for that brick wall effect. just an idea! are these real monoblocks? anyone could post a picture of the other side of the calipers? the nissins were 'so called' monoblocks but they're 2 piece designs. Though they're stiff as hell...

· Premium Member
10,438 Posts
man you got a good laugh out of me for sure, these are on par with brembo M4's!

but sure they were way cheaper $140 or less a pair and anything is an upgrade over the typical throw away calipers of early era radial brakes from Tokico.

· Registered
871 Posts
Which Nissins are not so called monoblocks? The only Nissin monoblocks I know of are on the new 675 and then NISSIN MONO BLOCK BRAKES images and photos - OPPRACING . I could be wrong about the 675 but I think that is what I read.

These he has posted are. Looked at them on a new CBR in the showroom and it is one piece, no bolts holding it together.
the one you posted is the top of the shelf stuff from Nissin. I meant the oem calipers from the ZX6R from 07 and up... "the black ones" :)

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got a sound clip of that exhaust?
No not yet, my welder and I are just prototyping it at the moment. When it's done and has the sheet metal encloser rivited in, I'll get some pics and sound clips up.

I'm missing the braided hoses... getting one-piece calipers but using them with rubber lines is just funny... get some proper brake lines for that brick wall effect. just an idea! are these real monoblocks? anyone could post a picture of the other side of the calipers? the nissins were 'so called' monoblocks but they're 2 piece designs. Though they're stiff as hell...
Yes they're real monoblocks :D, no the Kawi Nissins are not(although a fine set of calipers), and as the setup currently sits, I really like the feel of the brakes. I don't see the need for braided lines on this bike, the RR lines are fine. It still maintains a somewhat progressive feel, which I prefer. I don't like the "on or off" feel, or the brickwall effect as you put it. But thats just me.

Which Nissins are not so called monoblocks? The only Nissin monoblocks I know of are on the new 675 and then NISSIN MONO BLOCK BRAKES images and photos - OPPRACING . I could be wrong about the 675 but I think that is what I read.
You are correct. The new 675 nissins are the monoblocks.

man you got a good laugh out of me for sure, these are on par with brembo M4's!
but sure they were way cheaper $140 or less a pair and anything is an upgrade over the typical throw away calipers of early era radial brakes from Tokico.
Well, 90% of the performance at 15% of the cost is pretty good. The M4 comment was a quote I read in a mag doing a full review on the new CBR 1K. The comment was by one of the test riders, said the brakes performed on par with his track bike that's equiped with M4's. I'm sure the comment is a bit of a stretch for publicity's sake, but I have to say, the monoblocks are awesome.

wants a review of them and how they perform
We'll find out at the next track day. Can't really put these to the test on the street.

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
Bump. Any news on how well these calipers perform? Significantly or noticeable better than the stock units? I wanna get some.

· Registered
21 Posts
I bought some 5 mm spacer but they have the "lip" on both sides.
Im assuming you shaved the lip off one side to make it "modified" ?

If I shave that lip off is 5mm good enough to have the pads grab the rotors at maximal proportions?

· The Indifference Engine
6,136 Posts
Bump. Any news on how well these calipers perform? Significantly or noticeable better than the stock units? I wanna get some.
I have a set and compared to the stock 07+ brakes they don't have the same initial bite, though there's good feel. On the other hand they also seem to weigh about 1/2 of the stock Nissin's... and then I sold my nissins for what I paid for the CBR's. I think it's more to do with the fact that they're single pad per side instead of dual pad and you lose that second leading edge, but the weight savings is sure nice.

I bought some 5 mm spacer but they have the "lip" on both sides.
Im assuming you shaved the lip off one side to make it "modified" ?

If I shave that lip off is 5mm good enough to have the pads grab the rotors at maximal proportions?

Yeah, they'll work with the shaved 5mm spacer. That's what I used.

· Registered
21 Posts
I have a set and compared to the stock 07+ brakes they don't have the same initial bite, though there's good feel. On the other hand they also seem to weigh about 1/2 of the stock Nissin's... and then I sold my nissins for what I paid for the CBR's. I think it's more to do with the fact that they're single pad per side instead of dual pad and you lose that second leading edge, but the weight savings is sure nice.

Yeah, they'll work with the shaved 5mm spacer. That's what I used.

Thanks, I need to pull it off and start grinding those spacers then. Any tips? I think im going to use my dremel and shave off the lip slowly

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.