Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
I'm sorry but I literally cannot tell a think from those pictures, that said, similar topic on this recently:

As long as it's the aluminium guard around the chain, and it's not leaking oil anywhere, you're fine, take this as a "one and only" warning to buying quality chains and maintaining them properly, of course odd incidents happen, but if that's the case then it's highly unlikely to happen again.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
Ok, well the bolt hole and the cover are clearly broken, what I'd do is clean out all the broken pieces and see if the speedo sensor (bottom left quarter of sprocket) is fine, no cables are damaged. If so, try to put on the old chain and see if it moves freely. as in the chain doesn't get caught on anything as it goes around. If it doesn't and nothing else is damaged, you need to find a way to re attach the cover and you're good to go, but it didn't look like it hit anything absolutely vital, I couldn't see the oil leak you mentioned, could just be the chain lube being flung everywhere. As I said, i'd clean it all up and then you'll get a better idea.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
Here is another video
Oh that's rough... That's the inner casing too not the cover... That's the top half of the crankcase, kawi only sell replacement as a whole set for over a grand...

And it's not even feasible to replace it even if it was affordable.

My suggestion is try to get it patched up by TIG welding the hole up, short of fixing it like this that engine is done for.
I say it's worth a try. but you have to make damn sure none of the broken pieces ended up inside of the crankcase, otherwise you'll have some problems lol. The fact that it starts and didn't seem to make any weird rattles is a good sign though.

As for the broken piece by the front sprocket it's this:

Relatively cheap part to replace around 50 bucks, but imo it's not essential, it's supposed stop the chain from flinging stuff on the crankcase and also to minimise damage in the event the chain breaks. Hopefully that won't happen again though.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The piece that broke off did its job. Now you have zero chances left. Replace the cover and you should be good to go. The chain cover also acts as a spacer for the bolts that hold it on. As long as the hole isn't boogered up you're fine. If the hole is jacked, try using a tap to get the threads back in shape.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
365 Posts
The piece that broke off did its job. Now you have zero chances left. Replace the cover and you should be good to go. The chain cover also acts as a spacer for the bolts that hold it on. As long as the hole isn't boogered up you're fine. If the hole is jacked, try using a tap to get the threads back in shape.
He's also got a hole in his crank case :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts