Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:Damn:

My '09 Vulcan 500 with almost 3,000 miles started having a problem going from 1st to 2nd. It would go to neutral but not to 2nd. That was every once in a while. Then it started with a problem from 2nd to 3rd, and this problem got worse over a couple of weeks. The last time I rode the bike I was in heavy accelerating traffic and it wouldn't go into 3rd. I ducked onto a median. I took it to the shop but they rode it and said there was nothing wrong with it (it's under warranty). I don't want to ride it and get caught in the same traffic situation.
Can anyone tell me what might the problem be? I've had some other problems with this same bike (battery terminal coming off as I rode it, engine going dead; also the band that holds the battery down caught fire when I started it once).
Does the Vulcan 500 every have a "bad bike" occurrence?
Thanks for your tips.
Lolocowboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
My old 500 was very picky about the 1-2 shift. I had to shift very firmly, or else it would go into neutral. You might want to check your clutch and cable, maybe it's not disengaging all the way

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further shifting

Update on my 2009 shifting problem. The agency does not want to deal with it. The shifting is getting worse and worse, from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th etc., especially when the engine is not hot. Even when it has been running on the road for 10 or 15 minutes, it will have a problem upshifting if the engine is revved up in gear, as in passing someone on the road quickly, or accelerating quickly.
I will take it into the agency for the 9,000-mile checkup, and ask again that they look into the shifting problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back off the throttle, squeeze the clutch, then shift up. To shift down, rev the engine, very quickly close the throttle then shift down. If that don't work, have your clutch cable adjusted. Make sure your clutch lever has a little play before it disengage the clutch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts