Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been going on for a few months now maybe even 6 months. At the start bike died when I was at the bike shop. Apparently found out the Regulator rectifier was on recall for the 09 and mine was going bad from the test my shop did. So Kawi replaced the Regulator. Also at this time bought a new battery. So Regulator and battery are both new. 1month later. Bike wont start when leaving the gym. Tried jump starting got about mile down the road and died on me. So since I'm not good with electrical stuff could this be a stator issue? The battery was completely dead and was left to push it few miles back home.

Now for the past months. I bought a battery tender seem to be working fine till today. I went to the store came home ran back out. And when I got on the bike the bike wouldn't start.

Lost on ideas what it could be. My shop told me they can look at it but it could take days cause they have to check everything one by one. Seeing I can justify spending a day worth of labor can anyone troubleshoot this or have experience with this particular issue?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sounds like the stator or rectifier is bad.

Do a search on here about how to test them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to that test you linked the Regulator seems to be charging fine. Tested it and levels seem normal.

Is there a easy way to remove the stator to check the coils? I'm not sure where to test the stator according to that PDF guess im easily confused.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions by the way everyone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would think that If the voltage at the battery increases above the resting voltage of the battery when the engine is running, the battery is being charged by the stator/ regulator-rectifier system and your battery should not go flat.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would think that If the voltage at the battery increases above the resting voltage of the battery when the engine is running, the battery is being charged by the stator/ regulator-rectifier system and your battery should not go flat.
+1.

When the bike is not running you should get around 12v at the battery. If its like a car you should get around 14v when running or at least more voltage then when the bike is off. I would check that since that's an easy test.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
According to that test you linked the Regulator seems to be charging fine. Tested it and levels seem normal.

Is there a easy way to remove the stator to check the coils? I'm not sure where to test the stator according to that PDF guess im easily confused.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions by the way everyone.
Find the plug for the stator, unplug, and test there. Just a rough guess, but I would expect somewhere between 40 and 70 ohms for a coil that size (I could be off though). If you have a service manual it may be in there, or you can call the shop and ask what you should expect to see. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts