Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a a video from 4-5 months ago when I first started taking my 05zx6rr to the drags in Orlando. I was kind of caught off guard at the start because I was waiting for the guy in the left lane to line up. I looked up and the tree was started but, the bike sounds pretty cool with a nice crackle between gears.[attached]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was waiting for the guy in the other lane to line up but, the starter went ahead and ran me as a bye. It was 12.1 @117. This was before jumper mod and I later noticed that my plugs were fouling from too much fuel. The map from powercommander was killing my power and speed. My latest is 11.2 @126 mph. I don't do burnouts because I don't want to tear up my pilot powers until after my track day at Daytona. Lately, I just spin it off the line and it takes awhile to get settled down. I ordered a kit ECU which should get me in the mid 10s and 132-134 mph assuming I can get the bike to stop spinning.I should note that it is usually between 90-100 degrees plus ridiculous humidity when I run. Cooler air and lower humidity alone will get me more mph..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just clicking into fifth with stock gearing. I recently regeared it to 14 47 from the stock 15 43 and it has made a big difference. I thought that it would be a wheelie beast with the gear change but, it is actually more controllable. 10.5 is a great time to run especially at 125 mph. Your 60 ft must be amazing. So far my 60s are around 1.85. My biggest problem is getting settled after leaving the line. It is very awkward for me to lay on the tank off the line due to my height. I have trouble getting my foot up in time to pull 2nd gear if I leave in a crouch. I know that I am throwing away time while I am repositioning myself on the bike after I leave the line. There is a guy at my track with a strapped 05 636r who runs 10.77 @ 133 mph with just a slip on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Originally posted by Micron05rr
I was waiting for the guy in the other lane to line up but, the starter went ahead and ran me as a bye. It was 12.1 @117. This was before jumper mod and I later noticed that my plugs were fouling from too much fuel. The map from powercommander was killing my power and speed. My latest is 11.2 @126 mph. I don't do burnouts because I don't want to tear up my pilot powers until after my track day at Daytona. Lately, I just spin it off the line and it takes awhile to get settled down. I ordered a kit ECU which should get me in the mid 10s and 132-134 mph assuming I can get the bike to stop spinning.I should note that it is usually between 90-100 degrees plus ridiculous humidity when I run. Cooler air and lower humidity alone will get me more mph..
So having a power comander is not the best idea ?Please let me know cause I am very close in getting one.I run a 2bros exhaust

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Power commanders are great if you can tune them properly. All the maps from powercommander.com are too rich for my bike. I have the fuel map set to zero at the high end of the RPM range. My plugs are no longer fouling and the bike does not lose power from 3rd gear on. If I spend $200-$300 I could get a custom map built for it and it would help but, that is a lot of money to lay out. If you don't already have it, get the kit CPU instead. I ran my bike on the street w/ BMC race filter, and Micron slip on before I got the PC3 and noticed no fueling flat spots or problems. I no longer ride on street just trailer to 1/4 mile and soon trackdays.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Power commanders are great if you can tune them properly. All the maps from powercommander.com are too rich for my bike. I have the fuel map set to zero at the high end of the RPM range. My plugs are no longer fouling and the bike does not lose power from 3rd gear on. If I spend $200-$300 I could get a custom map built for it and it would help but, that is a lot of money to lay out. If you don't already have it, get the kit CPU instead. I ran my bike on the street w/ BMC race filter, and Micron slip on before I got the PC3 and noticed no fueling flat spots or problems. I no longer ride on street just trailer to 1/4 mile and soon trackdays.
Thanx alot man.Dont know what is the kit CPU.Can you explain me what is it and how much?Maybe some advice whare to get it from ?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iurox,

Sorry about taking so long to respond been is class until now. The kit ECU replaces the factory computer of your bike. Gains for the 636r are 3-4 hp and zx6rr 8-10 hp. It is plug in horsepower. There are various posts on this forum if you are interested in one. Advanced Kawasaki can get one for you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
iurox,

Sorry about taking so long to respond been is class until now. The kit ECU replaces the factory computer of your bike. Gains for the 636r are 3-4 hp and zx6rr 8-10 hp. It is plug in horsepower. There are various posts on this forum if you are interested in one. Advanced Kawasaki can get one for you.
No worries man.I just got home .Well I will look up for it to see how much will be.Thank you for advice.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
best 60' is a 1.62 so far with the stock gearing 6" stretch, lowered and strapped......im goin -1 +2 this weekend....trying for mid to low 1.5 60's...im only getting through the traps in the begging of 4th....hopefully this will gimme some mph too and some quicker ET's......if the clutch holds up and it keeps the front end down.....
Here's a pic from the 1.62 60'

Just clicking into fifth with stock gearing. I recently regeared it to 14 47 from the stock 15 43 and it has made a big difference. I thought that it would be a wheelie beast with the gear change but, it is actually more controllable. 10.5 is a great time to run especially at 125 mph. Your 60 ft must be amazing. So far my 60s are around 1.85. My biggest problem is getting settled after leaving the line. It is very awkward for me to lay on the tank off the line due to my height. I have trouble getting my foot up in time to pull 2nd gear if I leave in a crouch. I know that I am throwing away time while I am repositioning myself on the bike after I leave the line. There is a guy at my track with a strapped 05 636r who runs 10.77 @ 133 mph with just a slip on.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My first few times at the track I felt the same way.........this may sound weird but have your Left foot on the peg before you leave......just leave your right foot holding you up at the line...that way your ready to shift when the time comes......until you get used to leaving real hard at the strip.......

So far my 60s are around 1.85. My biggest problem is getting settled after leaving the line. It is very awkward for me to lay on the tank off the line due to my height. I have trouble getting my foot up in time to pull 2nd gear if I leave in a crouch. I know that I am throwing away time while I am repositioning myself on the bike after I leave the line. .

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried leaving my left foot on the peg but, it feels real awkward. I guess I just need more practice at it to get comfortable. The hardest thing about the drags is the lack of seat time. You only get 3-7 runs then have to wait a week or two to try something else. Nice 60 ft times. The 60 is the key to the run. The gearing will help a lot. I went -1 + 4 and it pulls strong all the way through 6th at the strip. Everyone tells me the strap will make a huge difference but, I wan't to do the best I can unstrapped. When I take my 60s to the 1.7 range then I will probably strap it. Thanks for the advice, hopefully the rain holds up so I can go this Friday.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Improved my times this last friday at the stip. Best run was 11.09 @ 124 mph. My favorite part of the run was my 1.77 60' time. It was real humid so it hurt my mph but, I still did it off the line. My previous best 60' was 1.85 and an 11.25 1/4 @ 126 mph. I am waiting for 10s before I scan in my time slips.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Kirk_Adams.
It was funny because the launch didn't feel particularly great but, that was probably due to being under control and not all over the track. The track was real grippy and the only time it spun was on my last run when it got out of the groove and headed towards the outside wall. I was practicing bringing both feet up as quickly as possible while bike was on stand in staging lanes and it seemed to help. I am leaving at between 8,000 and 8,500 rpm. When the weather cools down the bike can make some real power and 10s will be a regular occurance.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the vote of confidence

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.