Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm thinking about going one tooth down in the front...I realize that can effect top speed, but (1) I don't race it, (2) the fastest I've ever got my 6R up to was 130 indicated.

So my question is...I know going one tooth down in the front can give my bike a little more tourque, but is it eventually wear my chain down unnessesarily fast?

What are ya'll thoughts on going 1 tooth down in the front...should I or shouldn't I?

Thanks!

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I went one down in the front and the results were worth it, no significant chain wear to report.

Go green or go home...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Go down one in front, keep the old sprocket. If you don't like going -1T front, change the other back IF it's still good/straight/not too much wear.

I am -1T front, +1T back. I LOVE it. Super fast acceleration over stock plus my aluminum rear sprocket weighs a ton (okay around 4 lbs) less than the stock iron rear sprocket.

Be aware, if you do a lot of highway riding, it may irritate you -- it does for me when I do a lotta highway cruising between cities when I have to. It's like not having a 6th gear (RPMs high) Doh.

But yeah, more than a pipe, rejet, ignition advance etc, going down one in the front will make your acceleration stomp ass (vs stock). It's cheap too :D

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Cambridgezx6r

I am -1T front, +1T back. I LOVE it. Super fast acceleration over stock plus my aluminum rear sprocket weighs a ton (okay around 4 lbs) less than the stock iron rear sprocket.

'00 ZX6R silver
Thanks bro, I was thinking of going up 1 or 2 in the rear, but if you say that your -1 in the front and +1 in the back and its like not having a 6th gear because the rpms are so high, I think I'll just stick with 1 down in front.

Thanks for all your input!

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went -1/+2. Believe me I can't even tell I've lost any top end but the acceleration is much better "read top speed post". Needed especially when the ol six just seems flat from getting used to it. Wasn't as dramatic as first thought. I put a new chain on when i re-geared put have noticed more binding at times when shifting. Checked for proper slack and such but it may take a bit of getting used to. Chain seems to make more noise around the front especially walking it out of the garage, don't remember stock doing that but it could be just the difference in the chain?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just went down one in the front and the cahin seems to be making more noise. I don't know if it's just because I'm concentrating on the front of it. has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
na, i put my smaller front sprocket on about 10K ago, and my chain still looks brand new. however, if you're really crackin that throttle and bringin that front wheel up, then the chain will chatter from being stretched. my brother's GSXR600 has a 'flat spot' in it, where it's really loose, but then tight in other places. it could be that though; try putting the bike on a rear stand and feeling the slack in the chain.

·
Registered
238 Posts
mine looks and feels fine I have only rode it about 5 miles with the new sprocket. it's just when I put it on the rear stand and spin the wheel I can hear the chain but I think its just the plastic chain guard on the swing arm or the chain going around the front of the sprocket. At least I hope.

·
Registered
138 Posts
JoeyP, The old sprocket has rubber cushons to reduce noise and probably vibration to some extent. The chain rests on this cushon and makes less noise with the stock sprocket. Go see for yourself on the stock one. Aftermarket spkts don't have this usually. No need to worry though, less mass is better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Marine, go for it. I went 1 down 2 up, and I love it! When it's time to replace the chain, I'll be gearing even lower.

------
I'm a recovering work-aholic, and I haven't done a damn thing for 6 months.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just swapped my front down 1 tooth, I noticed the noise too, but way easier throttle wheelies now, well worth it.

------
97 Candy Persimmon Red
Wileyco Pipe
Factory 1.7 jets, Ign. Adv.
Cheetah Racing Solotail

·
Registered
337 Posts
You'll love the change, marine! I'm one tooth down in front on my '97 and it make a tremendous difference :D

My chain makes a little more noise now, also guys. Like rdandy said, it's just because there isn't a rubber piece on the new sprocket - no big deal. I don't even notice it anymore.

------

The only difference between a dream and reality is the price you are willing to pay

·
Registered
337 Posts
tblumer,

I've got a red '97 with factory jet kit and one tooth down in front, but I have a jardine can.[:p] Tell me, did the ignition advancer make much of a difference for you?

------

The only difference between a dream and reality is the price you are willing to pay

·
Registered
233 Posts
I originally got the advancer because they recommended it in the documentation of the jet kit, but I could tell right after I installed it that the midrange gained a bit more snap to it. The advancer is supposed to help mid and top end. Between that and dropping a tooth in the front the bike is like a whole different animal, it lunges at the twist of the throttle.

------

97 Candy Persimmon Red
Wileyco Pipe
Factory 1.7 jets, Ign. Adv.
Cheetah Racing Solotail

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm running about the same set up, Factory Pro 1.7 kit, Yoshimura can, Factory Pro +4 advancer. I did it all at the same time so I'm not sure which part did what. BTW, I am running a 15/39 set up and it will still power up in first.

·
Registered
202 Posts
im running 6T up in the back and it rocks.the bike will still top out at 155-160,need i say more? i can take most bike off the line and on the track i'll keep up with the r1's.in the long straight they'll eat my ass but on a small i do good.:D

------

Thanks B.

·
Registered
995 Posts
i went one down up front on my '00 and it SUCKED. annoying on the highway and i could never fin the right gear for a turn. i ended going back the stock size in the front and going +2 in the rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey guys im kinda new to the bike souping i understand dropping a tooth in the front gives a quicker low end but what does going up in the back to wouldnt it do the exact same thing

i got an 03 black 636 just curious about these things. and also does changing the sprockets mess up how you speedo and milage piles up?
JLI

------

black 03 636,yosh tri oval pipe and lots of goodies on the way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.