Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06' 636 with a k&n and the jumper mod, and until now it was back and forth on winning between me and a buddy and his 06' 636, which is stock but he weighs alot less than i do, anyways my question is that 2 days ago i put a -1 lower front sprocket thinking it would definatley take care of my problem, but now he beats me even worse! The only thing i recived from the sprocket was the ability two do better wheelies, is there something wrong or is just how it is!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Are you drag racing from a stop or doing top speed runs? Down a tooth on the countershaft sprocket produces a percentage gain in torque but a pertentage loss in overall top speed. You will lose 10-15 mph top speed with the sprocket change.

There are a number of reasons your friend may beat you including your shift points, keeping your weight over the front, better smoother shifts, etc.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Somethings not right there.... the bike should accelerate faster with a -1 sprocket in the front, and I can attest to that. My question is, how are you shifting when you race him? With the smaller front sprocket you're going to have to shift more than him, potentially making you slower depending on how you're shifting. Try shifting without the clutch if you don't already, this should make the shifts much smoother and faster. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried everything but yet he still beats me, my guess the biggest problem is that i weigh about 50 pounds heavier than him, I know that racing the same person over and over sounds kinda pointless but were I live drag racing is very popular, and we are both very competive, if it isn't cars, its bikes, or whatever runs!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
-1 on the front or +2 up in the back will decrease your top speed. It will increase the low end oomph that you feel tho and you should be able to get off the line quicker. That is also why its easier to bring the front end up. Here is a break down of gear ratios that might help understand this better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
How many teeth do the stock sprockets have? I want to see where my 05 636 falls on this chart.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
need to practice throttle control. my buddy just went -1 on his cbr600rr and im still beating him by the same margin if not more, but thats just because he hasnt yet learned to control the thottle correctly when the wheel starts to come up on him. Just practice you'll get better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing I forgot to add is that my buddy says that because I had a mesh jacket on my top end wont be as good, because it catches air and creates drag, is this true?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
BS, on the mesh jacket.

Sounds like your doing a top speed run, and if that is the case you will lose at the top. Going -1 in the front will give you better accleration but you will sacrafice mid adn top end, you are basically reving out the engine faster and top out faster.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Raising the teeth in the rear or dropping the teeth in the front by a small amount will allow the revs to be in the meat of the power band once you approve wind resistance = HP which will allow to to achieve another couple mph top end. Too much of a change will decrease your top end.

--Nate

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
so, if i go -1 in the front, can i do easier wheelies and still go 130+

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
and it helps you do easier wheelies, shit i think ill have to do this, do you need another chain or is stock ok?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
on my 04' i went -1 +3 and kept the stock chain. still hit round 150mph.

jdzx, if u want more top speed then drop to a 40 tooth rear with the stock front. u'll get less takeoff but a higher top speed.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A stock 05/06 636 will top out stock around 160ish depending on the weight of the rider.

-1 front or +2/3 rear and you will lsoe top speed. It will drop you into the 155 range. Like was said it will help you get into the meat of the power faster and hit the limiter but it will decrease you actual top speed. And forget telling us "but my speedo said" cause if you do not recalibrate the speedo it will be off as well.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
what the hell, a stock zx-6r tops out at 160?

that dosent seem right, i have seen guys with a stock zx-6r running as heigh as 170 on a freeway? many thats just me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
shooot, i looove the one down on the front! i just did the mod' last week, and i have NO complaints! it does give me more take off, i feel better acceleration, and i don't mind the top end loss...when are you really wot all the time? it's going to help you when you're on the track too, have you tried it? if you wanted straight line strength/power, you should've got a liter bike, but we have the ultimate track/curvey road weapon! the real skills are in the turns, take your friend out and dominate him there. you'll be happy with the -1 sprocket;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.