Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read here that people loves it, but now i've also read that it apparently eats the chain?

I allready bought it, jsut have to install it? Should I go ahead, I really don't wanne hurt my bike , just want some more power as i'm a bit too heavy for the bike (not the optimal rider).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The disadvantage of going -1 on the front is that the chain will now have to make a tighter turn around the sprocket. This is going to accelerate the wear on the chain as compared to the stock 15 tooth sprocket. If all you are doing is racing, then not a big deal as you would more than likely be replacing the chain and other drive parts more often than you would on the street. For street riding, you don't want to have to be replacing your chain and sprockets all that often. For street use, I would personally leave the 15 tooth front on and instead go with +2 in the rear. I like to get as many miles out of my chain as possible, cause at $120 a chain, I don't want to have to replace them too often. Or have one break and wipe out the engine case, just for the extra "oomph" off the line.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Ditto. I'd rather do +2 rear than -1 front..

·
Registered
204 Posts
LOL yes i just went back to a 15t from a 14t 48mpg to 69 mpg im very happy. I have a speedo healer so thats close and im almost always highway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont want to hijack this post but i wanted to know some of this as well.... When doing 1 down in front OR 2 up rear. How much can you actually use first and does second come up much easier? thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There are a hundred threads on this. As said above, going -1 will wear the chain faster so going +2 in the rear seems to be the best way to go when keeping stock chain. You can get a sprocket/chain kit for $180 that includes both sprockets (your choice of sizes) and a nice x-ring chain. With the stock chain, you're limited to -1 and +2 because of the links. Doing this does make it come up easier, you've got a lot more power down low because of the new gear ratio.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the -1/+2 sprocket set up. Still running the stock chain at 5000 Mi. and all is good.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I had the -1/+2 sprocket setup but it wasn't worth it to me. My gas mileage went down, rpm's went up, speedo was off, top speed went down. Yeah, the bike pulled like a liter till about 120 mph though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.