Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Does installing a -1 sprocket mess up the odometer reading or just the speedo?
Both.....your odometer will calculate at a faster rate.....but not by that muchI have a 70 mile ride to work, after I went -1 it's now about 73/74.....How do you guys like the difference so far?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Both.....your odometer will calculate at a faster rate.....but not by that muchI have a 70 mile ride to work, after I went -1 it's now about 73/74.....How do you guys like the difference so far?
I only did about 10 or so miles on it, but so far i love it, bikes comes alive at like 5-6k now instead of around 8 or so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It should be off by about 11% (speedo will read ~11% faster than what you're really going) from what I've heard. I have a -1 front and that seem to be about right in my case...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just ordered mine yesterday so I'll let you know when it comes in.

Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was told by my local Kawi dealer parts department that if I put the sprocket on backwards it tricks the speedometer pickup and they mph and mileage remains accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
i havent calculated it yet but its noticeably different. no more 20 miles left once reserve light comes on.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was told by my local Kawi dealer parts department that if I put the sprocket on backwards it tricks the speedometer pickup and they mph and mileage remains accurate.
You put on your front sprocket backwards and your going to destroy your chain, and any aluminum sprockets within 500 miles cause it won't line up with the rear sprocket.

Sounds like your local dealership parts department is playing a prank on you, doesn't know a damn, or just to lazy to look up a speedo healer for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the speedohealer takes all of 5 minutes to install, if you are concerned with the speedo being off or odometer being wrong. Pick one up, they are cheap and work great. Had them on all of my bikes so far.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Look at your rpm before and match it too how fast u well be going (stock) then the same with your new sprocket and it well be the same. Once u change tire size then it matters. But, who here cares. Just break:Laughing rolling: it then new motor.... that's what i am doing.
With -1 +3... same

1 - 15 of 15 Posts