Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bored last night and decided to flip the knuckle deal which connects the shift linkage to the transmission. well flipped it upside down and got 1st gear up and the rest down. very easy mod and it should save me from catching my foot on the ground sometimes. here is pics of my bros stock, and the finished result of mine.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I did mine months ago. Faster shifts. Effortless shifts. I love it and will never go back. What sucks, is after you get used to it, you'll find yourself downshifting on a normal bike at inoportune times.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was real wierd when i first got on it. but once you get use to it, its great. even just putting around town, its so, well like u said, effortless. ya riding my brothers bike is going to be odd after being used to this. how did you cut into the cover? i used a bench grinder, seemed to work pretty well

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
It's still possible to go from dirt bike back to GP pattern - with the R1 I had, it was a bit shite in the gearbox but when you do a mod like this, it helps that out greatly on the upshifts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Most (not all) racers prefer this shift pattern. The advantage is if you're exiting a left hander and are still leaned over, you can easily go up a gear. With a street shift pattern, you're toes would hit the ground trying to put them under the shifter.

That's the only advantage I've ever heard of.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya thats an advantage when racing... in my opionion i like it because u can push your foot down fast than u can pull it up... and i prefer the faster easier upshifts compared to downshifts... just personal taste no real advantage or disadvantage

·
Registered
537 Posts
Does anyone make sprocket cover designed for 1-5 pattern? (In case I don't want to cut and grind my baby [?])

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by -gary
I did mine months ago. Faster shifts. Effortless shifts. I love it and will never go back. What sucks, is after you get used to it, you'll find yourself downshifting on a normal bike at inoportune times.
Gary,
I do not know how a 2002 ZX6 shifts but my 2003 is somewhat notchy, so when you say that the shifts are now effortless, how were they before the mod (just ok or pretty good). If it was a definite improvement, then I will make the mod over the long winter months.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was able to switch it over without grinding all the way through the cover. It should hold true for 98-92 models.

That being said, if you do as good of job as what is pictured above you've got nothing to worry about.

Looks great drumannewman.[:M109]

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I did mine with a die-grinder, and the quality shows[:eek:)]

I'm going to remove a lot more material from the countershaft cover very soon. Maybe I'll post photos of this, maybe I won't[:p]

·
Registered
371 Posts
Factory Pro makes a shift kit that makes the bike shift like butter and its gold too. It is a new detent arm with bearings and a shift star that is machine differently.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Originally posted by twowheel
Factory Pro makes a shift kit that makes the bike shift like butter and its gold too. It is a new detent arm with bearings and a shift star that is machine differently.
Yep, I bought one of those on eBay not too long ago.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey, nice job. I picked up a spare sprocket cover (like $10 on ebay) for this very reason, but never worked up the nerve to hack into it. Now that I see how cleanly it can be done, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.