Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm out riding, trying to practice wheelies. I finally give up on wheelies, because I can't find a good place to do them, and decide to jump on the highway. I get on the Washington Beltway (I-495), and nail the throttle. I have the throttle nailed, and I'm cutting across from the merge lane to the far left lane, when I hit 3rd gear, and suddenly my handle bars are doing some serious shaking. I think I hit some bumps at the same time I let the clutch out, and it brought the front wheel up just a bit. I look at the speedo, and it reads 105, and for a second, I thought I might be finished. Everything happens so fast at that speed, you only have seconds to react. The bars probably only shook like that for about 5 seconds, but it seemed like forever. I let off the gas, and brought the front wheel down, but it definetely scared the shit out of me. Might be time for a steering damper. I thought it was ironic, that I couldn't get a wheelie going when I was trying, and then I got one when I didn't want one. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
why do you need to go that fast on public roads? you were lucky this time. same thing happen to me, i never try to ride beyond my abilities anymore. sure does bring you back down to reality though...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
A little head shake, no big deal. Made your ass pucker a bit though, didn't it. Landing a wheelie wrong is a common cause as well has hitting a bump during cornering. You can add a steering damper or cure the problem by lowering the rear by taking out the shim or using a thinner one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
IMO if you wanna practice wheelies ...I go to an empty shopping center and practice. Had that 100 MPH wheelie happen with my girl on my bike. Sucked real bad..

Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah did the same thing on 70.. i know it felt like forever, but the same damn thing happened to me too... 3rd gear is nasty when hitting some bumps... :p

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
sounds like all it was was headshake from your front end skimming the ground...it happens all the time...

You have a few options to help stop this, either slow down or get a dampener...my advice would be to slow down. But then again I know it's hard going slow on a supersport ;)

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
A damper for a little headshake?
I think not.

Slow down or ride fast on roads you know are smooth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing happens to my 03 zx6rr at the same speed if I shift to early. I found this out while dragging. When I would go in to third it would do it every time. I started pushing it a little further and it stopped. A damper would be great. When you are getting on the power your front end is rising and when you get on the power real hard at high speeds it changes the geometry that the frame was designed for and you get headshake from the front tire skimming instead of tracking.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos

A damper for a little headshake?
I think not.

Slow down or ride fast on roads you know are smooth.
Easy for you to say, You have an 02. Pyros bike is an '03. The '03 should really have one. I would be the last one to say something needs some extra safety thing, but the 03 really should have one on it.
$400 to save $8,000 You do the math.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know how that feels, I had one the other day while cornering at around 140-150mph(stupid I know, especially on public roads). I just let off the gas a bit and it stopped luckily, but however I did order a scotts damper the very next day just in case I can not control the urge to go fast again.....

Anyone have the scotts damper? Is it a good one??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wheelie on a 3rd gear roll on to 105 on a 636? Hmmm. Where you going uphill?

I would make sure everything is cool with the front tire before thinking about steering dampers. Check air pressure and balance of front tire. That may have been your problem...

A while ago, I would ride the 6r down the road and let go of the handle bars to adjust whatever, and the front started to shake. Nothing major, just shook the handle bars back and forth like headshake. Only happened above 50mph. Turns out the front wheel lost to much air pressure for whatever reason. It cleared right up once it had proper air pressure...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nasty,
From what I have heard, they are one of the best dampers available. They have many advantages over the slider bar types...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just installed the damper today(it arrived to me early:D) I like it so far, but have yet to really go for a ride with it. Easy install and great fit(just had to trim the key a little)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.