Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am buying a 120/70 race replica from dunlop. My question is. Is it going to ok to do so because of the old tire size that were 120/60. I know for sure that the race replica is a much better tire than the 207F tires. Dunlop does not make 120/60 front tire they only make 120/70 from the race replica tires. So am thinking it should be ok right. Any comments tecks are welcome.

BANG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sold me the wrong tire!. Man I’m so mad. This dealer sucks. Two weeks ago they sold me the wrong break pads now the wrong tire. Dam this F...ers at the deal. Is having a smaller tire a bad thing because the tire is meant for the zx6r 98 model. But for real what should I do to the dealer?

BANG

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by TStylin

First of all, if you have a zx6r, i believe the front tire size is 120/65 (at least on the 01 and 02) not 120/60.

Secondly, no, it is not going to fit your bike. There's a reason for listing tire sizes, and that's because one size does not fit all!
The 120/70 is going to hit your front fender and you'll either have to cut it or replace it if you want that tire to fit.
What kind of crap is that?!!!!!

I have a 120/70 (Metzeler Rennsport streetrace) in place of the original 120/65 on my -02 kwaker. I just did a 750km trip including wheelies, stoppies (ok only small stoppies) etc and 400km(250miles) on a track and I friggin love that tire. And it sure as hell doesn't hit my front fender. So it turns a little slower, so what, to me it just feels more stable and I have more confidence in that tire in the turns which is great.

Reaverfc, you should go back and say wtf is up with this tire, it's not the one you ordered so here, take it back and give me(you) the right tire or your money back. If you feel uncomfortable doing that then grow some balls or better yet, take a friend with you who has no problems dealing with greedy crooked dealers.

Freedom is won with blood and lost with the stroke of a pen
--uknown

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Oh,and thanks bladecutter for helping me out earlier when I didn't know crap about tires.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Damn it wasn't at 25 you got rid of that pesky newbie status.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Also, a 60 is fine on your bike. A 60 will steer faster than a 70, while lacking some of the 70's added stability. 65 is a good compromise, but they're all fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey, that's what dunlop told me when i talked to one of their reps about a 208zr for my bike (or thought he told me). I was just repeating what i thought he said.

And no, i don't think i know it all. I was just trying to give someone some info on something i thought came from a reliable source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I took a racing class, a few of the instructors recommended going with a the bigger tire and said I'd rather run out of back tire than the front.

I went from a 60 to a 70 on my F3 with no problem. Just lower my front-end ride height 5 mm. Was great on the track. On my ZX6R, I'm going form the 65 to 70.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Like most people are saying here a 120/70-17 is fine. Not too many tire manufactures make a 65 especially the race replicas. To get the steering back to the original you can either lower the front forks in the triple tree or raise the rear end. I don't know any details about raising the rear end on your bike, but on the 2003's you can buy a shim kit from Kawasaki to adjust you rear ride height. Also someone here did a great tire diameter chart to let you know how much you will need to raise or lower depending on the tire you buy.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think the R6 is the only 600 that runs 120/60 tyre stock. It also has a front fender that sits so low that some of the 120/70 tyres won't fit without some modifications.

I've never seen/heard a zx6r (2000->) that couldn't take 120/70 front if necessary.

120/70 will slow the steering down a bit, I noticed a slight difference after I switched to 120/70 Diablo front. You can resolve this by lowering front ride height or raising the rear ride height.

I dropped front 6 mm and steering geometry should be quite similar to 120/65 with stock ride height, feels good enough for me [:p]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good greef! I wish this fuckin' thread would die! Yes, people, i am admitting i was wrong when i told Reaverfc that his 120/70 wouldn't fit! I apologize! Can we let this damn thread die now?! Please! DAMN.

Obviously he must know by now that his 120/70 tire will fit from the other 50,000 people that said it would, alright!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Relax, bro -- don't think they're flaming you, they're just answering the question. The info is good, and I've had this question on my mind too because availability of tires here is skewed to the 120/70s. Until the later posts, no one was talking about the effect of a higher against the stock lower profile.

Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi guys first post,anyway just bought my 96 zx6r,95 to 97 comes with 120/60 front tyres standard,now i'm 6foot 3 am i'm finding my front end of bike is nervous to say the least ,it has metzlers on at moment not sure what model can check it out if needed,have been reading some info on 96 zx6r specs they come with 87mm trail,i guess this explains fast steering on front,i've upgraded from 1990 fzr600 which i put pirelli dragons on and it handled very well,very nuetral, now i'm wondering whether because of my weight and size i should go to 70 profile tyres if u guys say there is no problem with doing this as i woulding mind trading off a slightly slower steering bike for a more stable ,any recomendations guys,i think my local bike shop has pirelli diablos thanks guys for reading my long post cool site to lots of info.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by js14

i think my local bike shop has pirelli diablos thanks guys for reading my long post cool site to lots of info.
So far (<200 km) the Diablos seem to be ok, no serious scratching done yet. I'll post more info next week after I've ridden them 3 days at the track [8D]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
About the '96 ZX-6R, the stock tires on it were 120/60 front and 160/60 rear. I would stick with that but you can go 120/70 and 160/70. The way it is set up stock the steering is pretty slow. It is possible that someone has change things over the years. Take a look a the fork tubes. If they are flush with the top tripple clamp they have not been lowered. Also look at the rear ride height adjustment on the top of the rear suspension unit. Stock is the bottom nut all the way down.

I have a '95 and I am running Metzeler Rennsports 120/60, 160/60. I have the front lowered 5 mm and the rear raised 5 mm. The turn in seem to be about right with no signs of headshake.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by Poch

Until the later posts, no one was talking about the effect of a higher against the stock lower profile.
That's what this was meant to convey...poor execution I guess
]Originally posted by Grunt_99
A 60 will steer faster than a 70, while lacking some of the 70's added stability. 65 is a good compromise, but they're all fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.