Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was on the highway, we were cruisin @ 120 (don't even start) Roads were empty and what not, but I felt the wind pushin my bike. When I tried to change lanes, the bike wouldn't go. I slowed down and felt the inevitable. Funny thing was no one realized I was out till they reached the destination. I have road side assistance so I waited for the tow truck. I was very fortunate to be able to manuever the bike to safety. It was actually safer when I was going fast, I almost dropped the bike when I slowed to 20mph.

Good news is that the tire warranty got me new Metzeler M3's!! Tire warranty has officially paid itself off, and I still got two and a half years left on it!

New M3's!!

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
That's what you get for going 120 on the highway, SQUID!

haha jk...you got FREE M3s? God I hate you :D

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
That's what you get for going 120 on the highway, SQUID!

haha jk...you got FREE M3s? God I hate you :D
I'm like David Banner, when I get angry I turn Kawigreen and act squidish:D

Hey, did you get your bike back yet?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Holy shit look at those chicken strips! :D

J/K. glad you didnt drop it bro.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by joonyaboy

I'm like David Banner, when I get angry I turn Kawigreen and act squidish:D

Hey, did you get your bike back yet?
The wheel is on its way back from Cali AS WE SPEAK!! :D

90% chance I'll get it back this weekend. 100% chance I'll have it back by, the latest, next weekend.

I'll be back on two wheels within 10 days bro :D:D:D

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome...better post pix immediately bro!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't lose it!

My dad had a blow out on the front back in the 70's, he saved it somehow, even he doesn't know how , but he told me it was one of the scariest things that's ever happend to him

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by tweakmon
Holy shit look at those chicken strips! :D

J/K. glad you didnt drop it bro.
Stock Tires: Zero Chicken strips
Pilot Powers: Zero Chicken Strips
M3's: Still have 3/4 of an inch...can't figure that one out yet[?] Oh well, guess I'll have to let 'em keep laughin as I pass 'em in the corners:D

So far the M3's are freakin' awesome. Haven't tried them in the rain yet

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,446 Posts
Originally posted by joonyaboy

Stock Tires: Zero Chicken strips
Pilot Powers: Zero Chicken Strips
M3's: Still have 3/4 of an inch...can't figure that one out yet[?] Oh well, guess I'll have to let 'em keep laughin as I pass 'em in the corners:D

So far the M3's are freakin' awesome. Haven't tried them in the
rain yet
Here's my tire profile novel to explain your chicken strips:

M3's work very well in the rain. Personal experience with my 03 636. And the reason for the chicken strips...it's the profile of the tire. if you look at a mounted M3 180 next to a mounted PP 180 on the same type of wheel, you'll see that the M3 is FAR more 'rounded' and has steeper sides (i.e. the edge of the tire tread is almost parallel to the bike where it meets the sidewall), whereas the PP 'runs out' of tread because it's not as steep of a profile. The difference being that the PP offers smoother turn-in and better grip at street leans, but the M3 gives you that much more rubber at full lean (at the same lean angle, the M3 has a full contact patch where the PP is running out of rubber on the shoulder).

I have a 190 208 shoehorned onto the fairly narrow rear wheel of my 916, and it has an even steeper profile than my M3 on the Kawi does, just because the wide tread width and the narrow wheel width makes the tire bow more. It's all about the profile. That's one of the reasons I call PP's the 'squid tire'...most people get PP's and get rid of their chicken strips and think that they're just that much faster on the PP's, when really you can go much faster on a tire like the Corse or M3, it just doesn't look like it on the strips.

I had Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa softs on my bike when I first bought it and had it at RIDICULOUS lean angles...I mean I'd hit a turn going 20mph faster than a buddy of mine on his 954 (I was behind him and gaining fast), and he'd lean his bike over to 50 degrees or so, then I'd hit the turn behind him just that much faster...it was ridiculous how far I leaned those things over...and the strip was gone in the rear but I still had about 2 or 3 mm of strip on the front.

Then I got the PP's and didn't hit turns NEARLY as hard...got it leaned over, but I never pushed it even close to where the Dragons were sticking, and I had no strip on the rear and only 1mm of strip on the front, and the rear was all feathered like I was pushing the traction...looked neat, but that's not a good sign when I was pushing harder on the other tires with little to no drama...the rear michelin man was destroyed, and I chopped off most of the front michelin man's body.

Then I got the M3's, and rode just as hard as I did with the PP's (took the same turns at the same speed with the same suspension setup and the same form), still not as hard as on the Dragons (the Dragons gave me superhero confidance, and I was stupid...I wrecked with the Dragons, and since then have been taking it a tad easier), and I still had 5mm of strip on the rear tire. And now same thing with the 208's on my 916...the M3's, Pirelli Corsa's, etc are just so steep of a profile you'd have to be going break-neck track speeds and just feather it out at speed to get rid of the strips.

And that's why I love M3's, and hate PP's. I hear the PP 2CT's are better...but I don't need anything beyond the M3, and I have a guy that gets me great prices on them.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
damn man, that could ahve been really bad! Is your rim ok? Id have that checked out when you go to mount the new M3

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by dragknt

Here's my tire profile novel to explain your chicken strips:

M3's work very well in the rain. Personal experience with my 03 636. And the reason for the chicken strips...it's the profile of the tire. if you look at a mounted M3 180 next to a mounted PP 180 on the same type of wheel, you'll see that the M3 is FAR more 'rounded' and has steeper sides (i.e. the edge of the tire tread is almost parallel to the bike where it meets the sidewall), whereas the PP 'runs out' of tread because it's not as steep of a profile. The difference being that the PP offers smoother turn-in and better grip at street leans, but the M3 gives you that much more rubber at full lean (at the same lean angle, the M3 has a full contact patch where the PP is running out of rubber on the shoulder).

I have a 190 208 shoehorned onto the fairly narrow rear wheel of my 916, and it has an even steeper profile than my M3 on the Kawi does, just because the wide tread width and the narrow wheel width makes the tire bow more. It's all about the profile. That's one of the reasons I call PP's the 'squid tire'...most people get PP's and get rid of their chicken strips and think that they're just that much faster on the PP's, when really you can go much faster on a tire like the Corse or M3, it just doesn't look like it on the strips.

I had Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa softs on my bike when I first bought it and had it at RIDICULOUS lean angles...I mean I'd hit a turn going 20mph faster than a buddy of mine on his 954 (I was behind him and gaining fast), and he'd lean his bike over to 50 degrees or so, then I'd hit the turn behind him just that much faster...it was ridiculous how far I leaned those things over...and the strip was gone in the rear but I still had about 2 or 3 mm of strip on the front.

Then I got the PP's and didn't hit turns NEARLY as hard...got it leaned over, but I never pushed it even close to where the Dragons were sticking, and I had no strip on the rear and only 1mm of strip on the front, and the rear was all feathered like I was pushing the traction...looked neat, but that's not a good sign when I was pushing harder on the other tires with little to no drama...the rear michelin man was destroyed, and I chopped off most of the front michelin man's body.

Then I got the M3's, and rode just as hard as I did with the PP's (took the same turns at the same speed with the same suspension setup and the same form), still not as hard as on the Dragons (the Dragons gave me superhero confidance, and I was stupid...I wrecked with the Dragons, and since then have been taking it a tad easier), and I still had 5mm of strip on the rear tire. And now same thing with the 208's on my 916...the M3's, Pirelli Corsa's, etc are just so steep of a profile you'd have to be going break-neck track speeds and just feather it out at speed to get rid of the strips.

And that's why I love M3's, and hate PP's. I hear the PP 2CT's are better...but I don't need anything beyond the M3, and I have a guy that gets me great prices on them.
Man..that's perfect cause the other day I rode with my buddy whose on stock tires and when we finished the road, he had no strips and I still had 'em on the M3's and I was like "No way you pushed it harder than I did?!" SO I followed him and I was even catching up to him IN the turns and I couldn't scrub that elephant's head. I couldn't figure it...but now that you mention the profile thing I can see the difference in the two rear tires. Your explanation was on point, thanks man

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by burtonsbs5114
damn man, that could ahve been really bad! Is your rim ok? Id have that checked out when you go to mount the new M3
Yeh, I was very fortunate. Rim checked out okay, thanks for the reminder though. Scary to think that something as aimple as a nail can destroy you

Originally posted by 2003Texas6r
What tire warranty are we talking about??
It is offered during the factory warranty period, wouldn't be available for an '03. But I hear that there is a company that offers a tire warranty for any new tire you buy, but I have no idea what their name is or if it's even true

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Glad you're okay. I, too, found a nail in my rear tire a few months ago.. on the far edge of the rear tire, but on the other side. Kind of scary, because I didn't know it was in there. Buddies pointed it out at a gas station.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,446 Posts
Man...you guys have terrible nail-in-road luck (knock on wood)...I've only had two flat tires...one when I went rally driving in my old early-90's Saturn sedan (lol)...I oversteered with the ebrake and sorta drifted off the limestone/dirt road and into this little dip on the side of the road that had all this tall grass in it, and somehow some grass got wedged under the tire bead and caused a slow leak. The other was in my old early 90's Subaru Legacy sedan...not sure what happened to cause the flat because there wasn't anything sticking in the tire...seemed like a slow leak that just got out of hand. And I did some pretty stupid stuff in cars back in the day (the little rally incident wasn't the worst of it, but had the worst damage...those dent resistant panels in the Saturns actually do work...hehe).

As for the tire warranty, I think I remember buying a tire from a dealer once and being asked if I wanted a tire warranty. Not sure who they went through to offer the warranty though.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Man...you guys have terrible nail-in-road luck (knock on wood)...I've only had two flat tires...one when I went rally driving in my old early-90's Saturn sedan (lol)...I oversteered with the ebrake and sorta drifted off the limestone/dirt road and into this little dip on the side of the road that had all this tall grass in it, and somehow some grass got wedged under the tire bead and caused a slow leak. The other was in my old early 90's Subaru Legacy sedan...not sure what happened to cause the flat because there wasn't anything sticking in the tire...seemed like a slow leak that just got out of hand. And I did some pretty stupid stuff in cars back in the day (the little rally incident wasn't the worst of it, but had the worst damage...those dent resistant panels in the Saturns actually do work...hehe).

As for the tire warranty, I think I remember buying a tire from a dealer once and being asked if I wanted a tire warranty. Not sure who they went through to offer the warranty though.
One of my buddies moms (this was YEARS ago) had a Saturn with the dent resistant panels.. He was nuts, and would always do things to fuck with his mom, but unfortunately it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I remember him getting a running start (on foot) and diving into the car, kicking the shit out of the doors, throwing basketballs against it, etc.. Sometimes she'd laugh, and other times veins would pop out of her neck as she yelled at him for kicking her car. LOL! Funny thing is, there was never a single mark or dent!

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,446 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL<br>

One of my buddies moms (this was YEARS ago) had a Saturn with the dent resistant panels.. He was nuts, and would always do things to fuck with his mom, but unfortunately it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I remember him getting a running start (on foot) and diving into the car, kicking the shit out of the doors, throwing basketballs against it, etc.. Sometimes she'd laugh, and other times veins would pop out of her neck as she yelled at him for kicking her car. LOL! Funny thing is, there was never a single mark or dent!
Yeah, another night on that same road I went rallying on in the Saturn (this was after I got the flat tire replaced) I drifted into a wooden fence pole that hit the side door just hard enough to make the car lurch (I almost made it damnit! lol) Got out to look, and I couldn't even see a scuff where the pole hit. That car was freaking nuts. It sorta turned into my own full-sized bumper car. Until it got T-boned by some dumb ass bulldike from the FL panhandle. It didn't take that too well. [B)]

Also, it sounds like we knew the same kid. A buddy of mine would do summersaults and cartwheels into the side of his mom's Saturn back in the day...lol...cracked me the hell up. This was after I got rid of my saturn, so it was sorta reminiscant...hehehe

·
Registered
879 Posts
sorry to continue the threadjack, but i'm diggin' the saturn stories. my first car was a 6 year old '92 saturn sl2. loved the hell out of that thing. i lived on a dirt road for a year, and couldnt tell you how many times i'd pull the ebrake at about 40 mph. i convinced myself i was destined to be a stuntdriver in that car... i could do some sick 180s, shift into reverse and floor it while spinning, then roll about 50 feet and throw it into another 180 to go forward again... of course, the fun stopped when the transmission practically fell out on the road, but it was great while it lasted

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.