Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Was that video of your 9 second pass? Not a bad pass at all. My first recommendation would be to set a launch rpm. This rpm value will vary based on your setup, (wheelbase, ride height, weight, gearing, ect.) Can you provide more information about the bike? Your clutch release was smooth and uneventful which is good, you want to be smooth, it sounds like you need to get that throttle open sooner. Im hearing about half thottle about a second or two off the starting line. For the best mph and et you need to get that throttle locked instantly and use the clutch to control the front end.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
What stood out most to me is that you weren't set at a launch RPM before the lights came down. I was watching the video waiting for you to give it some throttle and set yourself at your launch RPM(whatever it may be).

Waiting for the lights to drop and then revving up will probably give you problems with consistency, which is the name of the game here. You want to keep as many variables as consistent as you can.

I'm no professional or seasoned drag racer though... Just an observation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What stood out most to me is that you weren't set at a launch RPM before the lights came down. I was watching the video waiting for you to give it some throttle and set yourself at your launch RPM(whatever it may be).

Waiting for the lights to drop and then revving up will probably give you problems with consistency, which is the name of the game here. You want to keep as many variables as consistent as you can.

I'm no professional or seasoned drag racer though... Just an observation.
I agree with you!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It sounded like you were using the clutch to shift too. power shift, and thatll save you maybe a tenth...probably less though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somewhere along the way I stopped getting the rpms up and started trying the way you see on the video. I have to train myself to do it the right way!
The bike is stock except yosh slip ons.
I haven't done anything special for set up. I run it the same on the track as I do on my commute.
Launch rpm...I'll start @4000 and see how it goes.
Suspension...Front...any suggestions? Rear...Soften it up?
Like I said in the 1st post, I'm 140lbs and like 5'7"...I don't have much weight to put over the tank!
Also, I get to the track with my fuel light ready to blink, meaning 4 liters(1 Gal) of fuel. The fuel weight, if full, would help keep the front end down normally, but the fuel on the 14 is mostly below the rider...I don't know what to think...
Sorry for the ramblings...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Buy a set of lowering straps for the front for like $20 bucks from your powersports dealer. Theyll lower the front as far down as you can pull them. That will help out a lot with the launch. But, if the front tire isnt even coming off the ground now...dont bother. Wait till you can launch hard enough to get it to come up then lower the bike. I launch my bike at 10.000 rpms and pretty much hover the front tire off the ground for about 30 feet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy a set of lowering straps for the front for like $20 bucks from your powersports dealer. Theyll lower the front as far down as you can pull them. That will help out a lot with the launch. But, if the front tire isnt even coming off the ground now...dont bother. Wait till you can launch hard enough to get it to come up then lower the bike. I launch my bike at 10.000 rpms and pretty much hover the front tire off the ground for about 30 feet.
This bike won't run through 1st and 2nd at wot without lifting. In 3rd and 4th I get some wobble out of the bars. Strapping it for sure at some point. Anyone have ideas about the rear set up. Stiffen/soften...??

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
This bike won't run through 1st and 2nd at wot without lifting. In 3rd and 4th I get some wobble out of the bars. Strapping it for sure at some point. Anyone have ideas about the rear set up. Stiffen/soften...??
As much preload as traction will allow, set the compression full soft, rebound in the middle. Your a little lighter than me so the bike will not transfer as much weight over the tire but this should get you in the ball park. Get a strap ASAP. You need it to get that throttle locked, believe me, its the only way to pick up the MPH you need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts