Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i was wondering what is all the regulations and stuff i have to go whrough to get on the road? i know under 16 you cant ride anything over 250cc's, and if you are over 16 you and ride a 600+. so does anyone have any advise i need to be aware of? my parents said that next year when i turn 16 it would be better to just get a used 636 and take my chances with the cops. dad is a good rider and thinks i will be ok and mom thinks the same. but is there any other legal thing i need to know about getting one? and i dont want to get the 636 if the ones who have one think i will kill myself on it, so so you think the 636 will scream [:Attention] ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Go with zx6rr kid. Always wear proper gear and take the motorcycle safety course. And please don't turn into a friggin squid.[:p]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm sorry but the thought of a 16 year old KID on a bike with that much power is not a good thing. Grow up a little then we can talk about a 600. I don't mean it rude, you are just too young to understand that kind of responsibility to yourself and to others on the road.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Some people are more mature than others. I'm glad I didn't ride street bikes when I was that age. No way I would have made it. Assuming you are a responsible person/rider, the thing that concerns me most is the fact that you won't have experience in traffic situations. Many years of driving experience will add to your chances of survival when you start riding on the road. Knowing what other drivers will/may do and riding defensively. I strongly reccommend something less powerful than the kind of bikes your looking at. What kind of bike does your dad ride?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i consider myself pretty responsible. and i have been driving in a cage since i was 12 all over. i used to live in the middle of know where so cops werent a big deal so i just hopped in the car, told my parents where i was going and left by the age of 14. i now live with my step dad and mom in galveston tx so i have experience on big public roads. i have my permit and my parents were thinking of getting me a car, but then i told them that i thought i was ready for a bike so they said yes. dad drives a cbr1000 (bkmster14) and my mom just got a ninja 250. and we are going to wait til next year so we can see how much more responsible i will get in the mean while i can get more experience in a cage in heacy traffic; so it will all work out. and in TX i will have to get the MSF and if i didnt i want to just to get more streetbike training in. most people are like aw you wont want to wear the helmet and gear, but then i try to explain to them that i think the gear is cool and i like it because it makes me look more "sporty". i only want the 636 so i wont have to upgrade so many times in my life. and the main ? i wanted to ask is are there any other laws i will have to go through to be able it get liciensed and get on the road in TX? im sorry if i sound like [:Repost] i just want to get on the road and get all the knowledge i can from as many people as i can before i get on 2 wheels and be out there with all those cagers. thx

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well, to answer your question, if you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to ride, crash and burn, just like an adult. Hope you're ready for the responsiblilty. I wasn't when I was your age. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just remember myself at that age (12 years ago) man I thought I knew everything! As I get older though, it's amazing to look back on my actions and those of others. Not a day goes by where I don't see some senior in high school and think to myself those kids are so immature they haven't a clue. Hindsight is always 20/20 and you'll realize that too as you get older. I agree with everyone else, get used to your car then get a bike in college...that's where all the chicks are anyway who will fall in love with your ride.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't know you, so I don't know how mature you act...but a combination of new person to the roads + a 110HP machine? My [8]ball says 'lethal'. Trust me, I know the stupid shit teenagers are capable of doing.
Get a car and learn to drive for a year....then reconsider. Go with a 250 or 500.

BTW, im a 17 y/o, and I have a ninja 250. I like it a lot. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i do have a bunch of car experience and it wont b until next year til i get one and i will be 16. so i will have time to get more3 mature in hte mean while i will get more time in a cage. and i am not a new person on the road. i have been drivin since i was 12 and i concider myself a pretty reasonable driver for my age. i dont do anything stupid only because i am scared of getting hurt or caught. i dont show out for my friends cuz i dont have to. if i want to show out i will invite them to my track and show out on the dirt. not the pavement. and i dont plan on any chicks or anything like that, all i am interested in is 2 wheels. i live for that. and i do wear my gear all the time even when its 110 degrees. i am not some squid who jsut thinks he can just jump on a bike and live to tell abot it. i can ride and i respect the bike i am rideing. dont you think if i can ride a 1k i can ride a 636?

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Originally posted by nanner
i dont do anything stupid only because i am scared of getting hurt or caught. [...]i can ride and i respect the bike i am rideing. dont you think if i can ride a 1k i can ride a 636?
If you can work a clutch and a throttle you can ride a 1k. It's how WELL you'd ride that worries everyone here. For one thing, whack the throttle on a 1k at 25 or 30, and it'll float the tire long enough for you to say, "Shit" and let up on the throttle. Whack the throttle on a 636 at 30, and you're on your way to kissing the pavement and watching your bike tumble over itself. At least until you have sufficient experience at it to be able to know without thinking how much throttle will do what.

And as for the other thing...
" dont do anything stupid only because i am scared of getting hurt or caught."

... I wouldn't buy a bike until I could say, "I don't do anything stupid because it's fucking stupid."

If a 250 is good for your mom, why can't you get a 250 too? You can buy an Aprilia 250 new for about the price of a used 03/04 636, and it'll scoot good enough, much better than a normal asian 250 like the Kawi, but without the insane power of a 600, and it looks pretty bad ass. Also, if you buy it used it's a great investment, as it'll hold it's resale value better than a japaneese bike. You could buy it, ride it around for a year or two until you're ready for a 600, and sell it for only a few hundred less than you paid for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well how much can i get a aprilia for? and can i get one in the US? i thought those were italian bikes?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have to agree with the crowd, 16 for a 600cc is a deathwish. I was an idiot at 20 when I got my first bike, and I had been driving legally for over four years. I had it three weeks and I wrecked it.

I would start with a 250 if I was you. It will rock your world, especially the Ninja or Aprillia.
Learn on that and the 600 will be a nice graduation present from college...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by sgtcarrot
I have to agree with the crowd, 16 for a 600cc is a deathwish. I was an idiot at 20 when I got my first bike, and I had been driving legally for over four years. I had it three weeks and I wrecked it.

I would start with a 250 if I was you. It will rock your world, especially the Ninja or Aprillia.
Learn on that and the 600 will be a nice graduation present from college...
Hell, I'm an idiot at 40! At 16 I would have wheelied into traffic coming out of the dealership parking lot![:0]:D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Seriously though, I'm not trying to bring you down and definitely not trying to talk you out of riding. Just do a lot of reading and make the best decision for yourself. And whatever you do, wear gear and ride smart. It's good to see that you're asking questions and are willing to listen to those who have been there. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i do want to be safe and i want to learn for others mistakes. but on the aprilia website it dont say anything about prices on a 250. can anyone help me with this? and i will wear my gear, i like the look it gives me. also i am not lookin to impress anyone. the only person who i entend to impress is my parents, showing them how responsible i can be. thx

·
Registered
154 Posts
i dont believe that the Aprilia RS250 is available in the states. I had a RS50 for about a year, it was a fun bike, couldnt do more than 45mph but there are alot of tweaks you can do to it and make it much faster.

·
Registered
439 Posts
isnt the power of 250 2-stroke the same as a 500cc 4-stroke? why not just geta ninja 250 or a 500? They are cheaper than the aprilia, in more ways than one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.