Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just bought a ER-6N and love it. I was just wondering when the time comes to get new tires, will a 180/​55-​ZR17 tire fit? Are how the stock tires, I have chicken strips because I am afraid of going any lower because I don't really know the limits to the stock tires. \

Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
With a fatter tire you're just gonna have bigger chicken strips if you don't learn how to ride lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, but getting new tires will be a while from now since i bought it 3 weeks ago, just trying to get info before i do

·
Registered
35 Posts
180/55 wil not fit on the 4.5" rim... the stock 160 is almost too wide for it, look how pinched it is, imagine how a 180 would look on it...

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Don't put a 180 on it.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Stick with the stock size. I would suggest getting a nice grippy tire that will help you inspire confidence in yourself to lean a bit more. You need not be afraid of your bike, man. You see how guys on the track lean over that far, right? That's black top, just like what you drive on everywhere else.

If you're going for the fatter rear tire, then do some searching and see if anyone has done a swingarm swap or wheel swap on their bike. I'm sure someone has tried it.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
There is no viable swingarm swap, aside from a Versys, which takes the same wheel anyways. It is possible to put a wider ZX6R wheel on it, but that's strictly a bling thing. Stick with the stock size tires, man.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
There is no viable swingarm swap, aside from a Versys, which takes the same wheel anyways. It is possible to put a wider ZX6R wheel on it, but that's strictly a bling thing. Stick with the stock size tires, man.
Hmm. Yeah the only reason to get the bigger tire and wheel is for appearance. It doesn't really give you any more performance. It does look better though.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Stick with the stock size. I would suggest getting a nice grippy tire that will help you inspire confidence in yourself to lean a bit more. You need not be afraid of your bike, man. You see how guys on the track lean over that far, right? That's black top, just like what you drive on everywhere else.

If you're going for the fatter rear tire, then do some searching and see if anyone has done a swingarm swap or wheel swap on their bike. I'm sure someone has tried it.
Erm Larry, track pavement is NOT the same as "what you drive on everywhere else" bro... :smash:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've never heard from some that actually makes turns on their bike that likes a bigger rear tires. Most that do like a bigger/wider rear tire are the people that ride straight.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Erm Larry, track pavement is NOT the same as "what you drive on everywhere else" bro... :smash:
The blacktop I rode on the track sure looked the same as the blacktop I ride on the streets. Either way my point is you need to trust your tires. The tires and motorcycle itself are designed for leaning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok sounds good, ill do some searching on what tires that are good. ill be gradually increase my leaning. hopefully i wont over do it :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
The blacktop I rode on the track sure looked the same as the blacktop I ride on the streets. Either way my point is you need to trust your tires. The tires and motorcycle itself are designed for leaning.
The asphalt is the same on both places except there's no gravel, sand, tar, a/c condensation, antifreeze, oil, power steering fluid, ATF, or roadkill on the race surface.

The race track has a group of folks committed to keeping it clean and safe, the street, not so much.

Guys with chicken strips usually don't have rashed up bikes or bodies.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
People that never learn what their bike is capable of will never master riding, either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
People that never learn what their bike is capable of will never master riding, either.

Easy to say if you live next to a track. There's a lot higher percentage of riders that don't live any where near a track. People say don't race on the streets, but then bash them for not riding to the bikes full potential.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Easy to say if you live next to a track. There's a lot higher percentage of riders that don't live any where near a track. People say don't race on the streets, but then bash them for not riding to the bikes full potential.
The track I go to is about an 8 hour trip from my house.

Most people, even track riders, will never ride a bike to it's full potential. I am not saying that everyone needs to be able to throw down an expert level lap time, just learn to ride.

I have seen plenty of crashed/rashed bikes ridden by slower riders.

If you really want to be a safe rider wear real gear, learn to ride well and practice it, and don't ride over your head or outside the conditions. Doing just one of those things doesn't make you a safe rider.

Reactions: ShamRock229

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The track I go to is about an 8 hour trip from my house.
That's a whole weekend wasted for a couple of hours riding.

My view is to scrub in new tyres to the edges - which you can do fairly easily riding pretty slow in an empty car park - then never go near the edges again. On the street that 3/4 of an inch or thereabouts is your reserve if you ever need to tighten a turn because of something you haven't seen earlier.

Rob

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
just wondering, what you mean by "racing on the streets". I have yet to see a street road looking anywhere like a racetrack

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Friendly reminder from **** Doohan-

Ride On!

Tony

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
That's a whole weekend wasted for a couple of hours riding.

My view is to scrub in new tyres to the edges - which you can do fairly easily riding pretty slow in an empty car park - then never go near the edges again. On the street that 3/4 of an inch or thereabouts is your reserve if you ever need to tighten a turn because of something you haven't seen earlier.

Rob
:Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling::Laughing rolling:

What the fuck ever dude.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts