Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I´m Markus from Finland and I would like to ask you one thing...
Soon I have to renew the rear tire in my -02 ZX6R636,
so has anyone tried to use 190 width instead of original 180 ??
If yes, please share your feelings about it ?
because it looks much nicer with that, but is it more or less driveable after this change.

Many thanks!
:)

-Markus-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Markus,

I have a 2001 J2 and had to fit a set of tyres at the Isle of Man TT. My only option due to limited avaiability was a 170, it does not look so good but man does the bike turn fast on it. It may be the change from Dunlop to Metzler too but the original Dunlop's were well rounded and scrubbed, so squaring off was not an issue.

I think a 190 would slow the turn in too much, but it would look the business. I am now caught between the 170/180 option for my next change but when my sliders surfing the local roundabout the 170 wins, when it's parked up the 180 wins.

Have fun,

Hugh.[8D]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi Markus.

I discussed this a lot (and still do) with a lot of guys around here, and we always got to the conclusion that the best thing to do is leave it alone. The bike and the rim where made to give the best compromise with that tire size, so why mess things up?! Go get yourself a 180 BT-010!! ;)

Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again,

and thanks for all of you.

So I will stick at the 180 width!
Someone mentioned already BT010, I´m sure it´s a good tire, but should I get a new Michelin Pilot Sport ( because front tire is still original Michelin and it´s in very good shape, no need to renew )

Br,

-Markus-

·
Registered
38 Posts
I currently have a 03 6R, but my last bike was a 99 Yamaha R6. Due to the really nervous handling of that bike, I fit a 190 on the back to slow the stearing and add stability, all of which it did. Although, I can not imagine doing this on the Kwak as it is quite stable.

Sportrider's article is weird since most 190's are designed to fit on a 5.5 or 6" rim. Ask Ducati when they designed the 916 as it has a 5.5 inch rim with a 190/50 tire stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[]Hi Markus,
D'ont go for a 190 it will handle like a bucket of crap! I've just changed the tyres on my J1 from the Dunlop D207's to D207RR's, an unbelievable difference.The things just lean and lean and stick like crap to a blanket! [:p]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.