Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I first got my 07 ZX-6r I put a 190 pirelli super corsa rear on it mostly because that's what I had on my GSXR. That's what I used all year but now I've been thinking I may switch to the stock 180 size this year. I've been hearing different things, just curious on what you guys think. Also considering maybe switching to the bridgestone 003 tires also. Who knows, off season means too much time to think!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I personally like a 190 over a 180. I also have my bike set up for a 190. If your on a tight technical track you may want the 180 as it would be a little easier to flick it side to side. If your on a bigger track with more sweeping corners the 190 would be better suited for that track. Try out both and find out which one you prefer. There really is no right or wrong answer to this question. It basically comes down to which feel the rider likes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
what he said. if you're bike is not set-up for it, the 190 is detrimental to the handling.

i've used both and i prefer the 180.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Im a total newb when it comes to this, but off hand what would you set up different beside the suspension to accomodate the 190. I was thinking about throwing a 190 on just for the look but not sure. just want a heads up of what I would be dealing with. Thanks

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Im a total newb when it comes to this, but off hand what would you set up different beside the suspension to accomodate the 190. I was thinking about throwing a 190 on just for the look but not sure. just want a heads up of what I would be dealing with. Thanks
If your not racing stick to the 180. NO need to waist your money on a 190 to "Look Cool".

·
Registered
776 Posts
no I hear ya on the money issue. I have a buddy who has a shit load of take offs and easy access to a tire changer. So I figured why not one day... know what I mean? but yeah I dont take her to the track.... I just want to look way cool. lol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
a 190 put onto a 600 wheel is going to be narrower than it would on a 1000 wheel...
I ran both 180 and 190 on the 636..
With the 180: Easier handling in the "s" types of turns, easier picking the bike back up from a long sweeper
With the 190, the profile is higher because it's squeezed onto a smaller rim, harder through "s" turns and you can get on the gas SO much sooner on exit because of the ridiculous amount of contact patch on the side...

As far as suspension goes, You would likely need to adjust the rear on the kawi going to the 190 - it's taller.... I had the rear jacked up on my 636 though (about 10 mm) and the triples just about stock (5 mm lowered from flush)

If you're buying the tires and not racing, its not worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
tire

quentin who sells race tires recommends to stay with a 180 on the 600/636. he said a 190 should be on bikes with 130 or more (i think that number is right it's been awhile) to drive the tire well. I've had no problems with the bt002's (3 comp) with rear grip.

kev

1 - 8 of 8 Posts