Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Not to be picky, but kW to mechanical HP is *1.341, not 1.34.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Umm, ps IS hp, just not in english. :D
PS means Pferde Stärke, literally horse power in german. But only german speaking countries talk about ps, finns talk about hv (hevosvoima), swedes talk about hk(hästkraft) and so on. Now if I could only remember what the french call the unit[:M74]
Edit: had to check, CV or chevaux-vapeur, Italian use the cv abbreviation as well but as far as I can tell it stands for cavallo. I don't speak more then five words of that language, though cavallo sounds pretty good. "Oh, a bit over a hundred cavallo at the wheel" :D

Anyone know the difference between SAE, ISO, and DIN? I haven't a clue. Or I understand SAE is with all the accessories like the alternator hooked up, but what are ISO and DIN?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by -gary
Not to be picky, but kW to mechanical HP is *1.341, not 1.34.
My mistake... But yet.. still doesn't change the simple fact that 1ps isn't equal to 1hp. :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by RedFinn
PS means Pferde Stärke, literally horse power in german. But only german speaking countries talk about ps, finns talk about hv (hevosvoima), swedes talk about hk(hästkraft) and so on. Now if I could only remember what the french call the unit[:M74]
Edit: had to check, CV or chevaux-vapeur, Italian use the cv abbreviation as well but as far as I can tell it stands for cavallo. I don't speak more then five words of that language, though cavallo sounds pretty good. "Oh, a bit over a hundred cavallo at the wheel" :D

Anyone know the difference between SAE, ISO, and DIN? I haven't a clue. Or I understand SAE is with all the accessories like the alternator hooked up, but what are ISO and DIN?
Well from what I understand SAE is more like real world numbers. They take an average considering air pressure, temperature, altitude, and all the accesories hooked up.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by Rob Lee
You may want to check out this thread.
Cool, that's from before I joined, I see.

I see now my post looks like I disagreed with the actual magnitude of unit(s), when I was just trying to be amusing about the language. Sorry, my bad.

For someone who doesn't have english as a native language and also speaks a bit of german it sounds really funny when someone basically says hp is not the same as hp. It doesn't matter that it's true sometimes, just like one gallon isn't always one gallon ;)

When europeans with english as the only shared language speak about hp, do you think it's the same as ps then? or cv? Wonder which one the asians use?

So I can't possibly be misunderstood I'll add: Though hp to americans means Imperial hp (746W), to much of the world, it doesn't.

When I went to school my physics teacher used to say that everything has to be bigger in America so it follows that their horses would be more powerful as well :D

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
When I went to school my physics teacher used to say that everything has to be bigger in America so it follows that their horses would be more powerful as well :D
Actually, the metric HP figure is larger than SAE.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by melloyello
Would you all just quit. Sound like a bunch of 5 year olds. Go to your room.
Just being honest. Not trying to start a fight. I could careless if the bike has 184HP or 181.5hp personally, it will still kick ass and be more power than I can handle. Just want to make sure everyone has the figures right when comparing it with other bikes. [8D]

·
Registered
190 Posts
RIGHT ON! I'm totally with CDracing. This bike I tihkn will probably kick the asses of the bikes in the 1 liter class just like kawi does in evry class. Kawi doesnt always win on the track but in the drag's is where I'm at and I cant tell ya that kawi is definatly the fastest in the 1/4. GO GREEN!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Originally posted by CDRacingZX6R
I agree.
Umm. Exactly!

So one american horse is more powerful than a european one, hence the more powerful horses. By about 10W, as both of you have stated

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.