Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get my hands on some Dunlop Qualifier takeoffs but they are all off of gixxer 1000's so they are 190's. Anybody run a 190 on the back with no issues? I'll be getting Q's for the front so I won't be mismatching tires.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by puckaveli
I can get my hands on some Dunlop Qualifier takeoffs but they are all off of gixxer 1000's so they are 190's. Anybody run a 190 on the back with no issues? I'll be getting Q's for the front so I won't be mismatching tires.
It's like wearing a jacket that's to big. It will fit but does not perform well.

Your bike will be slower all around. Turn in slower, change of direction slower, more rotaional mass, slower.

If your getting it to look cool and pose on the corner or to stunt then it's a good idea.

190 = Poser
180 = Performer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran Dunlop 209 190's on my 04 GSX-R 600 race bike with 5.5 wide wheels and it went to full lean faster since the tire is narrower on a 5.5, so it makes the tire taller and it gave me a larger contact patch at full lean. And I know that it won't give me a fatter rear tire look since it's on a smaller wheel, which isn't what I'm after anyways. I'm more worried about swingarm clearence and if the tire is taller it might require a longer chain. I don't have to have 190's but I can get them for free so if I can use them without issues I'll take them.

Have either of you used 190's on your bikes?

·
Registered
950 Posts
+1 VR6 My buddy put a 190 on his '05 636 and I took it for a ride one day. It was horrible, it was like wrestling a bear around every corner. It didn't want to turn for shit. I was thinking about getting the 190 for the wider look, but after that experience I stuck with the 180. It really was suprising how much of a difference it was.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Going to a 190 doesn't affect the handling that much if you're geometry remains the same. What a lot of people don't realize is that all tires are made differently and have different diameters, so you've got to adjust you're geometry to suit it. I ran a 190 209gp on my 05 636 race bike with no issues whatsoever. The larger contact patch was awesome and grip at full lean was way better.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I say stick with the 180!!! I have heard nothing but bad things about putting a 190 on
the back of it. I acually just made the same post 3 days ago b/c a friend of mine sold
his CBR1000 and had new tires he had brand new.

--Anthony

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
since tires are free get them and sell them on ebay. then buy what every you want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by VR6

It's like wearing a jacket that's to big. It will fit but does not perform well.

Your bike will be slower all around. Turn in slower, change of direction slower, more rotaional mass, slower.

If your getting it to look cool and pose on the corner or to stunt then it's a good idea.

190 = Poser
180 = Performer
I guess if you don't know you shouln't say anothing, i've used both on the track and there both great, it's all about which feels better with the way you ride but there both good, try them and if you don't like them then don't use them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by 6RracerMP
Going to a 190 doesn't affect the handling that much if you're geometry remains the same. What a lot of people don't realize is that all tires are made differently and have different diameters, so you've got to adjust you're geometry to suit it. I ran a 190 209gp on my 05 636 race bike with no issues whatsoever. The larger contact patch was awesome and grip at full lean was way better.
Thank you very much [8D]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Run whatever you want. It's common to see 190/60's at AMA supersport races. Don't know why, don't care. All I know is, I can get race take-offs in this size, cheap. That makes me happy.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you should use the tire best fit your intentions; what are you looking for? if it is performance, try 190s and compare your performance vs 180s on the same brand and model. That´s it.[}:)]

·
Registered
231 Posts
All the shop had was a 190 Pilot Power and i got it at a great price .
My old one was toast and i did'nt want to have to wait any longer for a new one .

Bike feels pretty good with a 190 , better then i thought it would . It does turn in alittle slower but nothing major . I notice i now have chicken strips on my 190 tire where the 180 was going so close to the edge .

I will be going back to a 180 for sure, but the 190 is fine for now .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run a 190 on my 05 636 i love it... it looks beefy and handleing is affected can still turn in the same accelerate the same id say do it... becides you not going that much bigger

·
Registered
176 Posts
I say go with the 190/55 or 190/60 if you want to get a 190 rear. Both tires will have a larger contact patch at full lean which means you'll be more stable while in a turn at speed and turn in will also be quick just like the 180/55 rear. I plan on putting a 190/60 rear on my '06 zx-6r once I fully convert it to track/racing use. However right now it's setup for trackdays with some Pilot Powers (120/70 and 180/55). In any case, try different sizes of tires to see which ones you like. I know plenty of racers on 1000's that swear by the 180/55 rear tires. Some would disagree with putting a 180/55 on a liter bike (especially one used for the track) because you will spin the rear on corner exits and the tire isn't as stable, but I guess there are different strokes for different folks so try them all and find one that works best for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the intelligent and educated replies, I'll pick up the qualifiers and post up if I have any issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.