Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my zx12r came from the factory with a 200 50 17 rear. the guy who had it before me put on a 190 50 17. currently the rear tire is a shinko stealth tire which i don't care for (i'm not into drag racing but he was). i want something that will be sticky, yet also corner very well.
should i go back to factory 200 width or keep a 190 on there? i hear people like a lsightly narrrower tire for responsiveness.
i dont really want brand recommendations, i can search for those and figure out what i want that way. i really just need some info as to the benefits of a 200 vs. a 190 rear tire.
thanks!

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
hoser, your new avatar is rockin'.

--David

·
28,939 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I put 190 on both my zx12r 00,01 so trust me you'll like it

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok looks like i'll stick with a 190 then. i may go to the 55 profile though...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have ran both on my 12 and my z1k. New compared against new, you really can't feel much of a difference. Some, yes but not as much as everybody says. Its not like the 200 sucks and the 190 is awesome.

I think much of the hype is that people compare the feel of their old worn out 200 verses their new 190.

Plus for me, I do a lot of straight up touring with a passenger so the 200 is harder to square off than the 190. And I like the look of the 200 back there visually but they usually do cost a bit more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ you may be right there. i dont track the bike; i'm nowhere near good enough yet, so maybe i wouldn't notice the slight handling difference. anything would be better than that shinko "drag" tire that's on it right now though! i do a lot of freeway riding, i commute on mine daily, plus the weekend rides in the country whenever i get a chance so i see a lot of every kind of riding i guess.
i'm not too worried about cost, the difference isn't big enough to sway me one way or anohter, either way they're not cheap.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ok looks like i'll stick with a 190 then. i may go to the 55 profile though...
Do it. Seriously.

IMO, the 190/50 design is pretty much redundant. There is no benefit to running a 190/50 instead of a 190/55.

Kawi has that figured out with the ZX-10's, they come with a 190/55 stock (as does the 1098's etc). I have no idea why the other manufactures still run a 190/50.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts