Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm a newbie to the forum (and to bikes in general) and I just inherited a bike from a deceased family member. The bike is a 1984 Kawasaki LTD700 that has been sitting in storage for 10 years - with a half a tank of gas in it! I'm trying to get her roadworthy again, but am having trouble finding anyone who will work in it - much less finding a shop manual for a "LTD700".

My question is two-fold: Does anyone know of any good mechanics in central New Jersey who I could trust to fix it up & does anyone know if the LTD700 is related to the Vulcan line? (I know that I'm going to probably have to spend more money fixing the bike than it is worth, but it's something that I'm prepared to do.)

Thanks!

dfx30

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call - a picture would probably help things! (It looks exactly like this one...)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I learned on an 81 LTD750 back when jap cruisers were popular. Anyway, these bikes are inline 4s with no relation to the v-twin vulcans. You shouldn't have much of a prob finding a mechanic bc it's your basic carbureted dohc i-4 engine. I'm in S. Jersey and don't know any specific mechs up in Monmouth Cty. Great bike to learn on btw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kawmaro -

You'd be surprised at just how hard it is finding someone to work on it. It seems people only want to work on Harleys! If you know of anyone - even in South Jersey - please let me know.

PS.
Any good shop manuals you could recommend?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Off hand, I know of Cycle World in Cherry Hill (closest to you), Motion Enterprises in Hammonton & Sportbike Zone in Magnolia. There's also a Kawi dealer in Bristol PA and one in Deptford, NJ. I'm pretty sure any of these places would work on your bike. Let me know how it goes.

As for shop manuals, other than routine maintenance, I don't do the work myself, so I have no info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - that seems to be the trouble. It doesn't matter that I'll pay for the bike to get fixed...nobody wants to work on it cause either it's the "busy season" or the bike is too old.

I don't know what else to do, so I figured I'd try to rebuild the carbs myself - but can't find a shop manual for this particular bike.

DAMN!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts