Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all-

I have a 1985 GPZ900 that I bought a few months ago. A few weeks ago, the bike suddenly started to miss on two cylinders, which I diagnosed as a bad ignition coil. The bike ran great after that for almost two weeks, when the misfire reappeared exactly as before. Earlier today I changed out the other ignition coil for a new one, but after only a few hours of riding, the problem appeared for a third time.

What could be causing the bike to either ruin ignition coils or mimic the symptoms?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if I drive the bike as it sits now, past about 4500rpm I can feel and hear all my power come back. This has always been true.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
No points on an 85.
Points/electronic use the same coils. CDI uses a different coil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may have a problem with the pickup/trigger thingy.

These do similar function of points in that they signal when to fire.

On the aircooled GPz, they live under the round cover on the right end of the crankcase. Not sure about watercooled GPZ tho. Sometimes the oil-seal on the end of the crank gives way and this can mess up the pickup thingy. Water as well, has it been raining? Since the problem seems intermittent you could get lucky and maybe a clean of the wire connectors is all it takes.

Since they fire the coils in pairs it may be the coils you swapped out are fine.

HTH

Anil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts