Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: So we got a hold of a time capsule, my daughter just fell out over it, a 1986 Gpz 600 with 4,400 original miles, a cream puff. She had been gone through by a Triumph enthusiast (US Eastern rep.) and motorbike collector, all but the engine, which was barley used. I test rode her, and other than a sticky clutch, she was great, like going back in time. We pulled and cleaned the clutch (I and the owner) and tested her again and she was doing great, though the weather was cool.
Fast forward and a few months ago as my daughter is getting used to her on local county roads, she's returned one afternoon with it spurting brown fluid. I quickly saw it was coolant with rusty residue from her sitting though the overflow was previously clean. Anyway, I pulled the overflow, ran a few gallons of distilled through her until clean (heat, cool, flush, fill, repeat) and topped her off with the standard 50/50. Fast forward a few months and very few, but great trouble free) rides by her, and I took her out to stretch her legs. On the return ride I stopped for gas and she was spitting coolant, clean green coolant. She wasn't in the red, but hot, so I eased her home and I need to check her out in the AM.

Any advice, on what to look for. Could it be more gunk that stopped up her inner ports? Water pump? Hummm?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Welcome here, unfortunately I can't really give you any advice on the problem but I hope that you'll resolve it asap.

Would also appreciate pics of the GPZ if you have the time :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd try a new radiator cap.
Interesting, do you think it is blowing off water prematurely (under lower temps) due to the spring/seal being old? Good call.
That said, what's the place you go to for Kawi parts? I found an apparent OEM at GenuineKawasakiParts.com for $31.75. Seem cool?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome here, unfortunately I can't really give you any advice on the problem but I hope that you'll resolve it asap.

Would also appreciate pics of the GPZ if you have the time :)
I'll get some better, more detailed ones soon, but she's sitting in this one center stage.

·
Registered
1992 ZX750-J & 2017 z650
39 Posts
Great looking bike. I had a temp problem recently on one of my bikes. I think it was just air in the coolant. I bled it, got some bubbles, and the temps returned to normal.

·
39,627 Posts
Interesting, do you think it is blowing off water prematurely (under lower temps) due to the spring/seal being old? Good call.
That said, what's the place you go to for Kawi parts? I found an apparent OEM at GenuineKawasakiParts.com for $31.75. Seem cool?

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm guessing 35 years of compression has probably worn the seal/spring. If the cap can't hold the pressure (I think around 18 psi), then the coolant will boil at a lower temp.

I just hit the internet and look for someone that has one in stock...or stop by my local dealer. I know $32 seems high for a radiator cap, but it is what it is. There might be a cross to a Stant cap, but unless you're on a really tight budget, I'd opt for OEM.

Reactions: clanofwolves

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm guessing 35 years of compression has probably worn the seal/spring. If the cap can't hold the pressure (I think around 18 psi), then the coolant will boil at a lower temp.

I just hit the internet and look for someone that has one in stock...or stop by my local dealer. I know $32 seems high for a radiator cap, but it is what it is. There might be a cross to a Stant cap, but unless you're on a really tight budget, I'd opt for OEM.
I received and email from GenuineKawasakiParts.com and they have it on backorder. So I requested a refund and found it cheaper (no shipping) on amazon (same Kawi part #), so I think this is the way:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts