Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. Just recently picked up a 1987 EX500 w/ about 52K miles that at the time wasn't running for $400. Pretty much complete, but has a fair share of issues to deal with. First and foremost, very high idling, if you can call it idling! Lol anyway, wasn't running because a piece of rubber got stuck in the left carb float valve, flooding it and the engine. Took it out, new float bowl seals and she now runs, but now well. With all the vacuum lines hooked up (properly as per images), engine starts and almost immediately runs up to between 3 to 4,000 RPM. Idle screw is backed off to the point it's not even touching the throttle shaft anymore. Even after it's warmed up some, choke still raises RPM when it's applied, which leads me to believe it's running lean? I was able to get it drop to around 1,500 RPM by pulling the right side carb vacuum line off, but if you plug the nipple, RPM rises back up to before.

Another thing is it seems the exhaust headers get REALLY hot within only a couple minutes of running from a cold start. I know they heat up very quickly, but this seems maybe too quick! The crossover/connection pipe under the oil pan has a junction in the middle that starts to smoke from being so hot. Smells like oil burning, so it might just be dried oil burning off? Seems like the smoke comes directly from the connection, though....

Really just need advice on where to start diagnosing this and fixing it. I'm stumped right now, to be honest. I don't have hardly ANY experience with motorcycle and equally with carbs. Also have a few electrical issues to fix, but one thing at a time! Really appreciate any and all help with figuring all this out! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I have a 2001 EX500. I would suggest coming over to EX-500.com. There's tons of information regarding the 500 and I think it can help you alot. My username over there is dmende0919. As for your current issues. I would recommend a DETAILED carb clean and inspection. The normal idle for these bikes is ~1,250 rpm. You might have a stuck choke for it to be idling that high. Check your coolant level and radiator fan switch as well of the bike seems to run hot. Be careful of letting it overheat as that can warp the head gasket which is a complicated fix.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
High idle can be vacuum problems. Recheck all the carb connections and maybe (carefully) spray some carb cleaner around the intake boots where the carbs seat to the head and around the vacuum connections to see if the idle changes, that will indicate a air leak.

Did you clean the carbs when you had them off for the float fix ? Dirty carbs can also cause idle issues though in my experience usually they won't idle, but its a possibility.

Also make sure your throttle cable isnt binding or too tight as that can also cause high idle problems (throttle isn't letting the carb close all the way).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I figured out the high idle problem. Just realized today on closer inspection of the carbs that I'm missing the screw on the throttle for syncing the carbs! Didn't notice it before and now I feel stupid....Right side carb butterfly was staying slightly open because of the spring tension, allowing air and fuel flow and hence RPM staying around 3,000. Started it, reached up to it and pinched the adjuster together, dropped to a respectible 1,250RPM idle! Now to just track down the remaining issues!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Think I figured out the high idle problem. Just realized today on closer inspection of the carbs that I'm missing the screw on the throttle for syncing the carbs! Didn't notice it before and now I feel stupid....Right side carb butterfly was staying slightly open because of the spring tension, allowing air and fuel flow and hence RPM staying around 3,000. Started it, reached up to it and pinched the adjuster together, dropped to a respectible 1,250RPM idle! Now to just track down the remaining issues!
Yeah, that will do it. Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey I have a 2001 EX500. I would suggest coming over to EX-500.com. There's tons of information regarding the 500 and I think it can help you alot. My username over there is dmende0919.
hey, i know you and you know me....(looky my avatar) my ex username is you know!

I'm seeing quite a few EX500.com wanderers over here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts