Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 89 ZX10 with a leaking fuel shut off on the tank. The valve itself is drop dead simple...a plate, two screws, a rubber "O" ring, a packing, some sort of "spring tension washer " and the actual "pointer" that selects from between reserve or regular fuel locations and shuts the fuel off.

Now the issue...the darn thing leaks!!!! I have replaced the O ring and the packing as well as the gasket between the tank and the valve assembly and the thing STILL LEAKS. Not real bad just a drop every few minutes but gas is not cheap...not to mention the smell in the garage or the fact that I am sitting right above the leak.

Anyone ever had a similar issue with this shut off? The thing is sooooo simple yet so frustrating as far as the darn leak. I suppose the shut off body itself could be bad / warped / cracked but this bike is a 14K mile creampuff so I discount most of the "worn out parts" theories that first pop to mind with a 20 year old bike. The bike has been sitting with a dry tank for 5 years. When I began to get the bike roadworthy last month the valve leaked. I immediately thought about dried out / hardened gaskets / rubber seals in the valve mechanism. Alas replacing the gaskets only made things a little better.

Any ideas / help in stopping this leak greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
7 Posts
drip...drip...

Its an easy fix man. You can get an aftermarket petcock from $11.00 and up... Bike specific or universal, whichever you like...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an easy fix man. You can get an aftermarket petcock from $11.00 and up... Bike specific or universal, whichever you like...

Pittbull

I decided to try and get a new Kawasaki pedcock. No luck discintinued. If it was available the total tab was almost $75.00

Are you saying I can find a petcock that will bolt directly to my stock tank from an aftermarket source? Boy would that ever be great. Can you advise on where I might get such a thing? I can find a souce for any part on any old Corvette but this ancient bike replacement part stuff is all new to me. Any sources you could name would be greatly appreciated.

I already have some ideas on how to modify my existing petcock to be nothing more than an attachment point to the tank for a hose. I would put a petcock of some sort in the actual line. My idea does require some welding on the original factory petcock body and if it doesn't work I have nothing. I really dont want to have modified the existing petcock / tap by removing the selector and just welding shout the area where the selector was.

If I do it that way all the current petcock would then be is a bolt on "nipple" with a hose out one end. Gas would run from the tank into the old pedcosk and right out the other side into a hose That hose would then have some sort of petcock in the hose upstream of the fuel pump. Doable for sure but if there are sources for a tank specific aftermarket petcocok that would be great!!!!

Please advise and THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the same boat.
I have an 89 ZX10 and my oil pan just cracked.
The best prices that I have been able to find have been at MR Cycles.

Good luck,

Superman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Leak Fix

I had the same problem. I was getting tired of rebuilding that valve so I invetigated further. I found that it wasn't actually the valve leaking. Look past the valve towards the fuel pump. I can almost assure you that it's the lines leaking. The bike is a 1989. That's a LONG time for fuel lines to stay ok. I replaced the line from the valve to the filter, the filter to the pump, and the pump to the carbs. I've never had a leak problem yet. I went with some hig-pressure (not required) silicone hose. It literally took me about 30 minutes to replace them after I had the tank and the air box removed. Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts