Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I really appreciate any advice!
I have a 1990 Ninja ZX600C 600R that I just got running a couple weeks ago, but it's still having some issues.

The bike had been sitting for 6 years and wasn't running.

History on the bike and what I've done so far;
-soaked tank and removed rust.
-replaced petcock with brand new valve.
-flushed coolant fluid.
-rebuilt carbs, replaced almost everything.
-replaced hoses from gas tank.
-replaced sparkplugs and checked for spark.
-brand new battery that I keep on a tender.
-10,000ish miles
-bike is from Colorado, pretty covered with rust.
-all fluids are new.

Problem I'm having;
The bike will start and run great until I shut it off (when it's warm), then once the bike is warm, it won't start again. Sometimes I can start it while rev-ing a bit, but usually it won't start again until it cools down. It cranks over, I'm filling it with premium gas and it does have an in-line fuel filter.

Edit It will run while moving for at least 20 minutes, until I stop and shut it off. Then it won't start. Idling in my garage it will run for ~7min, then won't start. I removed the gas tank 5 minutes after that and it started no problem, which to me is incredibly confusing. Still have yet to do the compression test, but am going to borrow one from work shortly.
Is the bike starting no problem after removing the gas tank a clue?
Going to start with a compression test then do a valve clearance check if I need to. Any other suggestions?

I'm not quite sure what to do, I'm not by any means an expert. I'm sure I'm forgetting some vital information in the post. I'll answer any additional questions you have for me.

Thank you again for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello all, I really appreciate any advice!
I have a 1990 Ninja ZX600C 600R that I just got running a couple weeks ago, but it's still having some issues.

The bike had been sitting for 6 years and wasn't running.

History on the bike and what I've done so far;
-soaked tank and removed rust.
-replaced petcock with brand new valve.
-flushed coolant fluid.
-rebuilt carbs, replaced almost everything.
-replaced hoses from gas tank.
-replaced sparkplugs and checked for spark.
-brand new battery that I keep on a tender.
-10,000ish miles
-bike is from Colorado, pretty covered with rust.
-all fluids are new.

Problem I'm having;
The bike will start and run great until I shut it off (when it's warm), then once the bike is warm, it won't start again. Sometimes I can start it while rev-ing a bit, but usually it won't start again until it cools down. It cranks over, I'm filling it with premium gas and it does have an in-line fuel filter.

I'm not quite sure what to do, I'm not by any means an expert. I'm sure I'm forgetting some vital information in the post. I'll answer any additional questions you have for me.

Thank you again for any advice!
Haven't done anything too in depth yet. I could do a valve clearance check. Would like to rule out the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Warm it up and carry out a cyclinder cmpression test if you can as this is a good indication of Valve clearance issues without having to pull the top off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts