Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone let me start by thanking you for your help and apologizing if I put this in the wrong place.. so anyways. I bought a 90 zx600 last year with 17000 miles. Excellent condition. I got in an accident with a deer last summer at low speed. Nothing mechanically wrong seeing as I rode it rest of the year. Of been doing a somewhat street fighter look trying to get it back to street legal. So I have 2 problems. I have no temp gauge and am not sure what temp I'm running at. Or if my fan is working. How long should It take at an idle for my fan to kick on at around 50 degree outside temp?? Also my second and worse problem is that the bike will randomly bog out and die on me. It doesn't consistently happen but if it does it's in the first 10 mins of riding. And it won't start after. After waiting a few minutes it will start back up and then run perfectly for the rest of the day. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Honestly, you're probably fine, a deer strike probably wouldn't damage this system if you can't physically see the damage and have no coolant leaks. 15 minutes in 50F weather seems kind of short to have the fan kicking on. The components related to when the fan does or does not come on are relatively well protected and damage to them likely would be visible without taking things apart. Damage to the thermostat in this instance would likely result in coolant leakage. And damage to the switch would likely be visible damage to the wiring.

That being said, if you get out a service manual for your bike, it should explain how to remove and check the thermostat and how to check the switch. This being a classic bike, I doubt you've got an electric temperature sensor. If you do, that would require a multimeter switched to measure resistance to check. But, in this case, the procedure is likely to hang the thermostat in a pot of water and heat the water until the thermostat visibly changes it's configuration. The specifics of how to do that should be in the service manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay awesome. Thank you for the advice. Nothing looks damaged. I'm going to take a short ride today but I don't have my new headlight yet so I can't go far

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any input on the random bogging issue and dieing. I thought it had to do with the intake system so I put the ram air tubes back in and it seemed to be running alot better but last time I took it out it did the same thing. Haven't ridin it since

·
Registered
338 Posts
Any input on the random bogging issue and dieing. I thought it had to do with the intake system so I put the ram air tubes back in and it seemed to be running alot better but last time I took it out it did the same thing. Haven't ridin it since
Random bogging down is likely either air or fuel. It can be other things, but that's probably the place to start looking. If you haven't done it, replace the fuel you've got and drain the carb bowls. Moisture in the line can also cause a seemingly random bogging down as the engine is getting water rather than fuel leading to a bogged down experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts