Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello is there a trick to quick fix this problem or am I screwed!?!? I was riding and then al of a sudden BLAHHHHHHHHHHH....a loud exhaust noise from the bike which was evidently the exhaust coming out the sparkplug hole.....the threaded part with the spark little leg is still in the head....the spark plug with the electrode snapped somehow and I have no clue what to do!??!?!? The bike is a mint 92 with 4800 Miles on it!

Please help me!

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
See if you can get yourself an easyout that will fit in there so you can turn it out. Be careful about getting anything in there. Any Auto parts store should be able to help you out. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
all the porcelin broke off....fook....bad. But there should still be the steel hex there...its all one piece from the hex down...

you need to use a thin wall socket or the tool kit socket to get down to the plug...a typcial toolbox plug socket is too thick.

92's had a flat top piston...so you may not have significant damage from spinning the engine over.

If you can get that out you'll want to try to clean the chamber out...flexible tube on the end of a vacuum...something....

If it were my own bike....I'd pull the head...there are already pieces of sh!t in there....not a fun job, but better than an early rebuild.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
all the porcelin broke off....fook....bad. But there should still be the steel hex there...its all one piece from the hex down...

you need to use a thin wall socket or the tool kit socket to get down to the plug...a typcial toolbox plug socket is too thick.

92's had a flat top piston...so you may not have significant damage from spinning the engine over.

If you can get that out you'll want to try to clean the chamber out...flexible tube on the end of a vacuum...something....

If it were my own bike....I'd pull the head...there are already pieces of sh!t in there....not a fun job, but better than an early rebuild.
I didn't even think of the head stil lbeing on there, but if it is...then yes, your correct on what you say, if no hex head then he will need the easy out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't even think of the head stil lbeing on there, but if it is...then yes, your correct on what you say, if no hex head then he will need the easy out.
Some how the sparkplug broke at the top of the threads...the porcelin and the rest of the plug were intact still in the wire. The exhaust was coming up through the middle of the sparkplug bottom where the core sits in (Weird!) Anyway I did get it out. I banged the appropriate sized flathead screwdriver into the remaining peice of the sparkplug pieces center hole and gently twisted it out...easy to do because there was no tight pressure holding it because that part broke off!!! Put new plugs in and the bike is running better then ever. I appreciate all your help and input! Woooooo Hoooooooo!

Rick

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
confused. if there is a threaded piece still in there..how is the exhaust getting out?
Some how the sparkplug broke at the top of the threads...the porcelin and the rest of the plug were intact still in the wire. The exhaust was coming up through the middle of the sparkplug bottom where the core sits in (Weird!) Anyway I did get it out. I banged the appropriate sized flathead screwdriver into the remaining peice of the sparkplug pieces center hole and gently twisted it out...easy to do because there was no tight pressure holding it because that part broke off!!! Put new plugs in and the bike is running better then ever. I appreciate all your help and input! Woooooo Hoooooooo!

Rick

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
thats funny, same thing happened to my integra about a month ago- i was so freaked out i came real close to buying a used head- but a guy i talked to said that a mac tools ease out would be best because it digs in sharper, cleaner and has a bolt end-so you can just tape it into your socket and pull it up...just a little tap with a small hammer, a little lube and it did its job just like he said-well worth the money for a set...if you use the drill bit style (the kind that looks like a twist) you either a-risk breaking it off in the head too, or b-getting a ton of metal shavings down in the cylinder wall, sure a new plug will get you running for a week...but a couple weeks, a month...hell maybe a year, the smallest piece of metal will ruin your cylinder

so whats my point-theres always the right tool for the job...for somthing as serious as this (if somone else has the same problem later) and the threads were torqued fairly tight, its worth the wait-or a call to a local tool dealer and get what ya need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts