Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apparantly near impossible to find a single seat unit conversion for this model, any ideas what to do? i might just buy a race tail and cut the area for the light out?

also anyone have an idea where the idol screw is because that is also apparantly impossible to find [:I]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
The idle screw should be just above the clutch cover on the right side of the bike.

I thought I'd seen a pillion seat cover for '95-'97 ZX-6Rs by either Targa or Pyramid. I could be wrong though - it was a few years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Originally posted by Jebiah
apparantly near impossible to find a single seat unit conversion for this model, any ideas what to do? i might just buy a race tail and cut the area for the light out?

also anyone have an idea where the idol screw is because that is also apparantly impossible to find [:I]
I have a solo seat cowl on my '96 made by Targa if that's what you're looking for and I bought it from www.1tail.com

Good luck [:M86]!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gmeatr you legend i want to make sweat love to you :D ive been looking for a solo seat for so long its unreal its a little pricey but can't find one anywhere else so its all good!! i should probably check they ship to the UK [:p]

i still can't find my idol screw i had a look above the clutch cover - gmeatr, do you know where your idol screw is on your 96?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Originally posted by Jebiah
gmeatr you legend i want to make sweat love to you :D ive been looking for a solo seat for so long its unreal its a little pricey but can't find one anywhere else so its all good!! i should probably check they ship to the UK [:p]

i still can't find my idol screw i had a look above the clutch cover - gmeatr, do you know where your idol screw is on your 96?
Cool jebiah! Anyway, in regards to the idle screw and although I haven't touched mine yet, like Nigel said, it should be above the clutch cover on the right side of your bike. Good luck ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok ill have another look tonight for it, do you have an undertray or anything for your 96 not sure if they do one? sorry for all the questions [:eek:)]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
I don't think they make one for our model years ('95-'97) b/c I tried looking for awhile but they're mostly for '98 and up unless someone in the forum knows differently. I have the Competition Werkes fender eliminator kit though ;) Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
They do make them for our model. I have one (well, the shell at least) that I got off the classifieds here. I'm modifying the plastic from a spare seat to make it work, but I've seen them here and there. Just really rare, or quite expensive.

I got an undertail kit and rear hugger from somewhere in the UK. Had to do some MAJOR modding to get the undertail to mount up...

EDIT: With about 30 seconds of searching, here's the shell that I have (although I'm sure this is the whole thing):
http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/TARGA_SOLO_SEAT_COWL_ZX6R_95-97_UNPAINTED.htm

Edit 2: Here is a site that has undertails, huggers, and solo cowls for our bikes. I have the tail and hugger that is shown here.

http://www.superbikestore.com/ZX6R_95_97.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Originally posted by Goose6R
They do make them for our model. I have one (well, the shell at least) that I got off the classifieds here. I'm modifying the plastic from a spare seat to make it work, but I've seen them here and there. Just really rare, or quite expensive.

I got an undertail kit and rear hugger from somewhere in the UK. Had to do some MAJOR modding to get the undertail to mount up...

EDIT: With about 30 seconds of searching, here's the shell that I have (although I'm sure this is the whole thing):
http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/TARGA_SOLO_SEAT_COWL_ZX6R_95-97_UNPAINTED.htm

Edit 2: Here is a site that has undertails, huggers, and solo cowls for our bikes. I have the tail and hugger that is shown here.

http://www.superbikestore.com/ZX6R_95_97.htm
Hey thanks goose6r for the info on the undertail, that's what I've been looking for and I've been searching for awhile! You think it will work with the competition werkes fender eliminator kit I have?

I've had my Targa solo seat cowl for awhile from 1tail and it looks great and well worth the $$ [:M86]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by Jebiah
gmeatr you legend i want to make sweat love to you :D
Sweaty love? [:M119]

There is a metal clip, above the clutch cover, which holds the idle adjuster cable. The cable might not necessarily be in the clip though, it can (and does) tend to move around. If it has moved, you may not even be able to get to it without removing the fuel tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Originally posted by gmeatr



Hey thanks goose6r for the info on the undertail, that's what I've been looking for and I've been searching for awhile! You think it will work with the competition werkes fender eliminator kit I have?

I've had my Targa solo seat cowl for awhile from 1tail and it looks great and well worth the $$ [:M86]
The undertail has a "ledge" on the back that I think is meant to fasten the license plate holder to. I went farther under the tail. Here's what it looked like when I mounted just the undertail on. I'll try to get a better picture later.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks nigel that solved the mystery it had fallen out the clip and wedged itself behind the clutch cover :D got it out and adjusted it fine much happier now, whats your opinions on this then, either i buy the targa solo seat and undertray off the other mentioned site orrrr buy a race tail and cut out the light? what do you think?

goose if u got any pics with the other fairings fitted that would be good, looks good tho! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Pretty much had to completely remove the old fender. It would have fit in nicely behind the battery box, but I ran a custom shock that got in the way. Then I took the old trunk sides from the old fender and cut out an area for the raised portion of the undertail (so I still had SOME semblence of a trunk under there), and I had to bend one bracket a little bit to keep it from hitting. I'll be heading home in about 30-45 mins to get the pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice isn't as bad as i thought for the mods, thanks for the info ill probably check the pics tomorrow as im in UK its getting late now, thanks tho!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Forgot to take the card reader home from work last night...

Here we go! Here's a rear view. There is a piece of the original fender way in the back that still has the fusebloce attached to it. The two relays that are mounted on the old fender were cut off and attacked to the undertail.




Here's a side view:




Here's a couple views of the trunk, and how that part got cut out. This was mostly trial and error until I got the right curve to the cuts.





And here is the piece that had to be bent (If you can see it under there.) The bolt you are looking at is the one that holds the front seat down, for reference.





Hope these help, let me know if you need any other shots! And you'll have to forgive the paint job... I'm in the middle of sanding it down right now... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
My personal opinion on the seat cowl/race tail is:

If you never take passengers and you don't carry stuff around under the seat (or can do without carrying stuff around under the seat), get a race tail. They look much "cleaner" than a seat cowl, but you lose a lot of practicality. One of my friends used to have one on his '95 ZX-6R and it really looked so good.

Otherwise, get a seat cowl. They still look good, and you retain the practicality as well. :)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top