Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am baffled on this one. 97 ZX11 - Starter will not turn over the motor unless I short the solenoid.

New battery, new solenoid (replaced 3 times), rebuilt starter (x2), new starter switch. My problem: If I short the solenoid the starter will kick and turn over the motor. I have rebuilt the starter just to make there's no issue with that. new battery with proper voltage, new starter switch, the only thing i get when I hit the start switch is the clicking from the fuel pump. And before anyone asks, yes, the run button is in the on position. What else can be causing the issue? Ignitor? (how would I test that?) Why am I not getting starting voltage to my starter? I know the solenoid is good, I've tried 3 different ones (same result). HELP!!! What am I missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I was thinking the relay is part of the solenoid, I've tried 3 different ones, with the same results, that's why I'm reaching out here to see if there's another part I'm overlooking. I know my starter works as I'm able to short the solenoid and make it turn. sooo...frustrated...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Within a proper factory wiring diagram, a starter relay or circuit will clearly be called out. Will be included in Haynes or factory service manual, diagram vital in troubleshooting electrical issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Of ALL Kawasaki bikes mass-produced & sold worldwide over the past 20+ yrs, it seems to me as if the (once) mighty, top-speed king ZX/ZZR-1100 is notorious for starting-issues.

I don't know what it is about this particular model, but perhaps the planets were in a rare-alignment when the beast was born ? ? ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll look for a wiring diagram. I'm not an expert on electrical but I know there's not much to this system. If I solve the issue, I'll be back to share since this seems to be a common problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts