Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an old school ZX6R track bike. I had a J3 ('02) for a few years and loved it, ended up selling it for nearly what I paid for it used. I've since moved on to vtwins for the street, but I would really like to pick up a cheap inline 4 bike to thrash. The G models seem to be plentiful and very inexpensive.

Questions:

1) Will sharkskinz race plastics from a '00-'02 fit the G models? I think the difference here is the ram air ducts but not sure. Is the mounting different? I've got a set of sharkskinz from an 02 which I'd like to use.

2) What differences are there from the 98-99 to the 00-02? I know the aesthetics and gauges are different...but mechanically what are the key differences? can the power, chassis and suspension be brought up to '02 levels and beyond at a reasonable price (i.e. parts swaps from other kawasaki's)?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
1a- yes
1b- yes (the ducts are different, but both should fit the bodywork),
1c-no, only because the race glass doesn't use the headlight mounts.

2 -I've had both vintages. I actually like the turn in feel of the 98/99 better. The rake/trail is different, the fork spacing is 1/8" wider on the 2000-02, front brake calipers had a change in piston size, engine went to nick-a-sil cylinders, different pistons/head, various small changes to reduce weight....like the swingarm. Is any of it worth retrofitting...no...not in my opinion anyway.

My 02 zx6r track bike has a 2005 636 shock and linkage (we've covered this topic in depth if you search), and Race tech GR2 compression valving in the forks...its proven quite stable...and will be for sale soon.

The 98/99 is not really down on power if you ask me....maybe 1 or 2 on peak but my 98 was impressively fast for being an old stone...and that small amount can just be bike to bike variation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts