Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my 636 on her longest ride yet about an hour from my house to Newport RI
Had a great time until on the way home when i ran out of gas on the highway at about 100 mph.
I looked at my gauge a few times but the sun and the position i was in i couldnt see the light was on.
So i call AAA and after giving them all my information they say oh we cant help a motorcycle and the lady said she couldnt dispatch any one for me or give me any local shops phone number. I wasnt sure where i was all i had was the highway # and an exit # that i was at.
So i hang up with the lady and call AAA back and tell the next lady i ran out of gas in my truck so she dispatched a tow company so i asked her the name of the place she dispatched and she told me.
i called information got their # called them told i lied to AAA and i had my bike they told me it was gonna be $66.00 for the tow guy to bring me gas [V] no choice but to take it.
so just remenber to check those gas lights.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That sucks. I had the same thing happen to me, but I only had to push my bike three blocks. That will be the first and last time I run out of gas. I felt like such a dumbass, especially when people stopped to see if I needed help.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the 03's dont have a reserve?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
sounds like an interesting sunday afternoon. ;)

my brother's manager, who has a Honda Goldwing, broke down on the highway one night on his way home from work. It was 10:00 at night, and he called AAA and 7 tow truck companies, but nobody would pick up a motorcycle. His problem was more then just the gas. So, he had to push his 900 pound goldwing 4 miles home. It took him 5 hours and he didn't get home until 3:30 in the morning.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i go by my trip too, after i ran out of gas twice.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
man that sucks hope that never happens to me. when my light comes on im immediately looking for a gas station.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I watch the trip meter and reset after every fill... and when I figure I'm getting close to the "low" mileage, I start checking for the light... I don't find it too hard to see if you remind yourself you're getting close. But then, I never found the tach hard to see either...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I hit the reserve on my '98 ZX-6R just about everytime I have to refill. I've done it so much that I can feel the power loss before it stalls and switch it over to reserve without stopping.
What year did they switch from reserve tank to warning light?

·
Registered
173 Posts
That sucks man. I always check my trip meter before I start riding, if I've got over 100 miles since the last fill up, I usually head to the gas station. Nothing worse than the gas light coming on 3 minutes after you jump on the highway, well except actually running out of gas on the highway(but you already know that!).

·
Registered
25 Posts
my bike gets such crappy gas mileage.... that light goes on at about 120miles. My 98 could run into 180's. How far are you guys going?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
most new fuel injected bikes dont have a reserve, just the light.
the main reason the old carbed bikes had one was because they already had an on/off switch on them (to prevent the carbs from flooding when not using the bike) so making a reserve was a simple way to do it.
Fuel injected bikes you dont need to shut off the fuel, so they dont make a reserve.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Hey you guys,

Check with your cell phone companies, many of them have a roadside assistance thing for like 3-4 bucks a month that they charge to your cell bill, and a few of the companies will service a mototcycle.

In California I was with Verizon (Formally GTE) and they had a roadside called Mr. Rescue. It was 2.99 a month and if you ran out of gas it was a 5 buck charge for 3 gallons of gas delivered (mototcycles included) and did like 10 miles of bike towing for 25 bucks.

All of which is a lot better than pushing a bike 5 miles.

You have to double check to make shre they cover bikes, not all of them do. Best 3 bucks a month I could spend.

-Flash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.