Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm on my way to work on the interstate 'bout 9pm, and sticking pretty close to the speed limit, when seemingly out of nowhere, i got a cager glued to my ass. it didn't take long to realize i was about to make an unscheduled stop.

so he throws his lights on, i pull off, and after all the b.s. small talk like "where you comming from?" and "where you going?", the AZ state trooper said he pulled me over for my "green lights".

yes, i have the fabled green led's behind my fairings to put an erie glow on the little 2fiddy engine. he's polite and cordial, so was i, and he issued me a warning. i asked him where i could find it in writing, so he told me 2 google the arizona revised statutes. i got 2 work and did just that. his reason quoted statute 28-931 and was titled "lamp color".

after reading the brief "regulation" which was not in any english i'd ever heard of, i could only interpret it to be referring to modification (of color) of factory lights, i.e. headlights, tail, parking, etc. i glanced through all the statutes that pertained to lighting and couldn't find anything that would prevent me from running with these on! he said if he caught me again it'd b a ticket around $110, but i don't think he really has me on anything???

any1 else with a similar experience, more knowledge on the subject, or especially cops that can give me some insight? i know laws differ from state to state, so if there's any1 in the phoenix area, i'm all ears.

Reactions: Bullets Flying

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
print it and keep a copy on ur bike lol.

i really can't answer your question, but here you can't have blue or red lights. it sounds like he's halfway understanding that law himself.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
maybe he's a *** and just wanted your name and number.
could be, and next time he's gonna get you on the way home from work so you have time for that ticket :D

j/k man. but really, if you see a cop sitting somewhere, pull in and ask them about it, explain what you gather from the write up on it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is cali's, dont know about arizona. I doesnt say that you cant use colored lights but in a different section it states the only vehicals that are allowed to use colored lights(emergency, city, towing etc.) Most being restricted to blue,red amber. This sections pretty much tells you the equipment you can have any anything different from what it says is not allowed

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25950-25952

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or
yellow, except as follows:
(1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red
to the front.
(2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the
color spectrum from white to yellow.
(3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255,
shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the
electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to
the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white.
Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle
shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an
illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not
resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official
traffic control device.
(b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red
except as follows:
(1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may
show yellow to the rear.
(2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.
(3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show
yellow to the rear.
(4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.
(5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced
turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or
parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is
not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is
not impaired.
(6) A reflector meeting the requirements of, and installed in
accordance with, Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.
(c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or
rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color,
provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all
reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup
lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible
from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle
shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the
unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color.
Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the
rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before
January 1, 1974.

25951. Any lighted lamp or device upon a motor vehicle other than
headlamps, spotlamps, signal lamps, or auxiliary driving lamps,
warning lamps which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater
than 300 candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the beam
will strike the level of the roadway at a distance of more than 75
feet from the vehicle.

25952. (a) Lamps, reflectors, and area reflectorizing material of a
type required or permitted on a vehicle may be mounted on a load
carried by the vehicle in lieu of, or in addition to, such equipment
on the vehicle. Such equipment shall be mounted on the load in a
manner that would comply with the requirements of this code and
regulations adopted pursuant to this code if the load were an
integral part of the vehicle.
(b) Lamps on vehicles carried as a load shall not be lighted
unless such lamps are mounted in accordance with subdivision (a).

·
Banned
150 Posts
This is cali's, dont know about arizona. I doesnt say that you cant use colored lights but in a different section it states the only vehicals that are allowed to use colored lights(emergency, city, towing etc.) Most being restricted to blue,red amber. This sections pretty much tells you the equipment you can have any anything different from what it says is not allowed

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25950-25952

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
as follows:
So out of all of this, I can have led pods on my bike glowing while I'm riding and as long as you can't see it 75ft away, it's cool?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
typically they have a little NOT PUBLIC INFORMATION TICKET:

Your vehicle is causing distractions (SAFETY ISSUE) to other drivers with your lights and thats what they can also get you on, not sure on your state laws but that was a GA thing.

just something quick off of google...

http://www.autoi.com/CVC.html

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
typically they have a little NOT PUBLIC INFORMATION TICKET:

Your vehicle is causing distractions (SAFETY ISSUE) to other drivers with your lights and thats what they can also get you on, not sure on your state laws but that was a GA thing.

just something quick off of google...

http://www.autoi.com/CVC.html
Yep that's usually how they target neon and the like illumination. Per regs you are required to have additional lighting meet DOT spec if you want to light them while driving/riding on public roads.

·
Registered
786 Posts
In PA you can ride with only blue lights on..

Hey its better then nothing..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more as it develops....

Thanx for the comments, yes,...even yours B/F lol! here's the latest:

after reading all the statutes on lighting, i found this one that basically says any additional lighting not covered in their statutes could be submitted for approval or disapproval. if approved, "the department" will issue a certificate, if not, i just turn them off or take my chances, no loss.

the state police were no help, one officer seriously told me that the statute i found was just "words on paper" to him, and really "doesn't mean anything" HA! doesn't MEAN anything?:confused: this is derrived from the same standard they want to hold me to!!lol! anyways, called mvd, they were scratching their heads too.

finally i talked to a nice lady at the state legislature office (yes, i had some spare time). she is actively persuing how i could go about obtaining an approval cert'! awesome! i'll post up how all that goes.

in the mean time, i'm ridin' 2 work with the lights a'blazin' and the "original statute" in my backpack. (good idea warbuck)

as for the distraction route, jd, i haven't heard of that in az YET, and while i understand the theory, it's a 2 edged sword; my lights are "distracting" to cagers that don't pay attention in the first place, but they make me more visible. in either case, they certainly don't drown out any of the other factory lights. it's as if i'm a cager rollin down the highway with my domelight on,.... or a good lookin hottie in traffic:rolleyes: now THAT's distracting!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Speaking from experience traffic judges interpret that statute to say the only colors of light that can be visible from the front are white and amber and the only colors that can be visible from the rear are red, amber, and white. The statute even defines what colors certain lights are allowed to be. Anything outside these definitions is determined to be illegal. Good luck with the approval cert, can't wait to hear how that goes for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
r u an az cop swatgeek? the statute does indeed state that certain lights can only be certain colors, thing is, my lights are not any of those certain lights mentioned. from the front, no green light is really visible, and likewise from the rear.

as far as the approval cert goes; it was explained to me that it would have to be an ammendment to or an addition as a new statute specific to my situation, not just a "permission slip" exclusively for me. while it doesn't read that way, i can see their point, they'd be bombarded with endless submissions of all types. if it were ever to go through, it would have to state something like "auxilary lighting may be added provided it is of (whatever approved colors) and that the light is not direct or over (some set candlepower) etc. etc. i am realistic enough to understand that "the department" will not waste their time to allow motorists to use their imaginations by implementing a new/revised/or ammended statute.

so after all that, the letter looks like a dead end. the original statute however is not the correct reference for my type of lighting.

i did speak with another officer yesterday simply for clarification. same result as the last one i talked to on the phone. the officer became very defensive and thus impossible to converse with. i am a military member, and understand how to approach authority and have civil conversations to resolve misunderstandings and clarify standards. this has not been the result from my last 2 encounters. the officer yesterday told me that because my lighting was visible from the side, that it "became" a side marker light. i asked if an illuminated dome light when viewed from the side becomes a side marker light, a lit cigarette, indirect lighting that shines in the vehicle and is not projected out? not being a smart ass, just trying to define what constitutes a side marker. my suggestion, how bout a light source, factory mounted on the outside of the vehicle, for the distinct purpose of marking the outer extremeties of the vehicle. but that's just me, i could be wrong, it's all a big crap shoot anyways.

thanx again for your comments, if you are a cop, please feel free to give me your take from a legal , unbiased, standpoint. after all, we're in the forum, both as bikers, non-threatening environment, what a great idea! we're not on the phone as cop and crook LOL!

i'm the green hornet for crying out loud, i'm supposed to be fighting crime, not commiting it! LOL!!! ok ok, that was over the top, i'm done. flame away my friends, i need a good laugh!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maryland states that Motorcycles may have LED Pods and strips. (1) No Blinking (2) No Flashing (3) No oscillation (4) must be directed toward the engine and drivetrain. They May not (1) be attached to the wheels or (2) emit red or blue light.

Pretty straight forward here. Sucks that AZ doesn't know clear and concise english.

*It also goes on to allow blue dot illumination- does anyone know what that is/its purpose?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Blue dot illumination is the little blue dot you put oin the center of red tail light lenses to give the appearance of purple.

When I was in Kansas, it was leagal tp have any color you wanted as long as you could not see the bulb. The glow was the only affect you could see. If you could see the bulb, it had to be either white or Amber on the front, or red or amber on the rear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maryland states that Motorcycles may have LED Pods and strips. (1) No Blinking (2) No Flashing (3) No oscillation (4) must be directed toward the engine and drivetrain. They May not (1) be attached to the wheels or (2) emit red or blue light.

Pretty straight forward here. Sucks that AZ doesn't know clear and concise english.

*It also goes on to allow blue dot illumination- does anyone know what that is/its purpose?
heck yeah man! im gonna have to post the AZ statute just so people can see how jacked up the terminology is! who the hell calls a headlight a "front clearance lamp" what is this the 1920's? hahaha! Stage coaches have been off the roads for a while now!

Blue dots? of course! ur talkin' 2 an old street rodder here! still got a 1950 ford f-1 painted grabber orange with a 351. i've seen my share of blue dots, and they are "pimp"!:cool:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the actual statute:

First off i gotta give myself this for replying to my own thread:postwhorel::violent:

ok, now that that's out of the way,....for your reading pleasure, or just to confuse the hell out of you:

28-931. Lamp colors
A. Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
B. Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
C. All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except that:
1. The stoplight or other signal device may be red, amber or yellow.
2. The light illuminating the license plate or the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white.

like one of those word puzzles in the news paper isn't it? maybe if i asigned each letter a number value corresponding directly with another letter in the alphabet, and wrote it all out, it would say something that makes sense?:eek::Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
848 Posts
don't fight it, it's not worth it, he isn't being a dick, as he let you off. Even if you are right, it's up to the cops interpretation, until you go to court. Are you really going to hire a lawyer for something that dumb? you will be spending more than that light is worht. Just take it off and sell it on ebay

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
take it off? no way! turn it off, if it comes to it, yes. and no, i'm not fighting, i'm just looking for clarification. the officer that pulled me over wasn't being a dick, his co-workers on the phone were. and no lawyers either, i'm getting my education for free as i go, so if i DO get nabbed again, i can elect for a court date, and hopefully avoid a fine with simple reasoning.

after that, if i get the, "well from now on, turn them off just because we said so" then that's fine. i'll just use them when parked.

'til then, come up with you're own lighting idea, ur not buying mine on ebay! LOL, just kiddin' man. thanks for the post, ride safe.:D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sorry, it cam off as me being dickish. But I was at work doing online courses and searching on the forums, so i was typing quickly as to be stealthy and what not. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts