Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st, it seems so violent. I feel/hear a big clunk. All other shifts are smooth. When I hit 1000 miles, I switch to full synthetic oil (MX4T) thinking it would help, and only helped minimal. Do you all experience this or do I have a bad tranny? Is there anything that can be done? Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have the same problem, but mine is more noticeable downshifting from 2nd to 1st. I only have 3,000 miles on mine, and I think I remember reading in here that this is pretty common on our bikes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i had the same issue too. it seemed to be worse when new, i have about 2000 miles on it now and it is better. but from the posts i read it seems to be normal for kawi. i do notice the higher the rpms are the smoother it shifts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
try blipping the throttle as u shift. if ur not already.
I had a wierd thing happen on my 06 636 yesterday. I was in first and shifting to second. It missed second and hit neutral. When I tried to shift to 2nd it would just grind the gears. I tried like 3 times before I got it into 2nd. Anyone else have this happen? I only have 2400 miles on my bike.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
The 1-2nd shift being a little clunky i had for about the 1000miles at most, as i started to really ride the bike as intended at 700 miles.

I was riding on track with her at 850 miles nad at that point already had 3 oil changes...But now she is simply smooth and nice..
I have been using Mobil car oil 15-50 from the 2nd oil change..

Use the same thing in my RC51 and no wories either..

On the out of gear and grinding, you have to be firm woth your shifting with the standard rearsets, as once you get lazy you will get the false nuetrals and out of gear issues, will get that on my RC51 when i am lazy, Also try adjusting your shift rod on the bike for a little tighter shifting action..helps ALOT

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
glad to hear i wasnt the only one with that problem

every shift is fine (even 2nd to 1st) but 1st to 2nd can be kind of violent. funny tho....it happens only when my RPMs are too high. when they're lower, i get a smooth shift.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Try to slow down more, and blip the throttle. I personally never shift into first unless i'm coming to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign, and even then I'd rather just put it in neutral unless I come to a stop.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
i hear ya on the 1-2 shift being tricky, it's either clunky or it goes right into Neutral. however, i rarely ever shift down into first gear while moving. when i come to a stop, once i reach second gear i just pull in the clutch and rely on the brakes to stop and click into first while holding the clutch down. from my experience i notice most vehicles don't like to be shifted into first gear, my car, my 4 wheeler, my ninja none of them like going into first unless you're going like 3 mph or less.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
Originally posted by fclark

I had a wierd thing happen on my 06 636 yesterday. I was in first and shifting to second. It missed second and hit neutral. When I tried to shift to 2nd it would just grind the gears. I tried like 3 times before I got it into 2nd. Anyone else have this happen? I only have 2400 miles on my bike.
yes. be forewarned there are alot of ppl hving problems with 2nd and 3rd, on the 05. its a very weak pos of a tranny. mine lost 2nd and 3rd at 5k miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, the neutral on this bike is a big gap, and shifting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 is chunky. Clutchless is almost always violent, so what I do is clutch this transitions and blip the throttle. I've got 14,000 on my 05 and with this technique its silky smooth. I have to ride around town alot with people on back, so I had to get used to it. Oh, and I'm running 15w50 full synthetic becuase its so hot out. This wieght oil makes the whole engine very smooth!

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only time mine's really clunky from 1st to 2nd is if I sit at 8k+ rpm for a while in first before lazily shifting into 2nd. If I'm just cruising with my wife and shifting at 5k it's smooth or if I rev it up high and immediately shift into 2nd without hanging out at those rpm it's smooth. If you downshift at probably 15mph or faster into first it's going to clunk. I usually don't put it into first unless it's a super tight corner or I'm at 5mph and coming to a stop.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel better. I thought I had a bad tranny. Sounds like a pretty common problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i was just about to post about this its a good thing i read first. i have been haveing trouble also 1 to 2 going into neutral if i was going wide open. i brought this up on another forum and they told me not to use the clutch when taking it to redline ever. any comments? i have talked to a couple of guys around where i live that have been riding for along time and they told me it was good for it as long as u do it right. so i have been practicing the last couple nights and i have it down to a science now. but my question is does anyone else do this or am i wrong to listen to this advice?

·
Registered
230 Posts
2nd to 1st is always clunky on mine, i just dont shift to 1st unless im going less than 10 mph. I had problems going from 1st to 2nd but i think it was due more to me being lazy with the shift than anything, i just concentrate more now on making sure i give it a firm shift and it is much better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you guys are going around 10 to 40 mph than just pulling in the clutch and jammin it to first that is BAD! You need to modulate the clutch just like you do when you upshift, (no one I hope speeds up to 65 pulls the clutch all the way in and than just clunks it in to second) Its almost a tap on the clutch while shifting into second and at the same time just letting off the gas a smidgen. To down shift give your bike a good blip of the throttle (don't be afraid to really get on the throttle!), slightly pull in the clutch and down shift all in less than a second. You can down shift at any usable range of first gear as long as you blip the throttle (match rpm) to the neccesary engine rpm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.