Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride to work this morning was a bit chilly than I expected (31 degrees outside) and my gloves didn't keep my hands as warm as I would have liked. After 20 minutes of highway driving, it became increasingly difficult to operate the turn signals.

Any suggestions on heated grips? If you get a heating element that slips under the current rubber grip, how do you get the grip off? Any recommendations on a cheap / easy heated grip solution? While searching the forum, I saw some old threads that mentioned replacement grips, and another that used just a heating element. I was curious as to what works really well in terms on easy to install on my bike - a 2004 Ninja 250.

For those who are ready to suggest gloves, few gloves will keep my hands warm at 80mph in 30 degree weather. My snowmobiles always came with heated grips and I cannot imagine running a sled without them. My bike requires a little more manual dexterity than the sled did.

Second question -
I have heard others comment on the reduced traction of cold tires - is this going to be an issue for cold weather riding? How much will tires heat up when it's below freezing outside? Is this more of an issue with high performance tires?

I appreciate any feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Dualstar heated elements go under your grips.
taking them off is easy if you have an air compressor and air nozzle. simply stick the nozzle under the grip and give it a blast. the grip will slide right off in 2 or 3 blasts. Reverse the process to get them back on.
Up in Mass I'd suggest you get a heated vest and gloves.

as for the tires. jsut take it easy. black ice is your worst enemy. ride as if you were riding in the rain. slow and steady inputs on the throttle/brakes. leave yourself a lot of outs.

Hit the search button and you'll find tons of info on these topics.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
If you don't have an air compressor you can use a squirt bottle of soapy water and squirt in the end of the grip (peel up a little) then work it around. I can pull grips on and off in seconds with this method. Use the same mixture to slip the grips on, flip the heated grips on and let them dry the soapy water out.

Like Cyber said, just take it easy. You can ride with normal street tires well below freezing, just ride as if it were riding (again, like he said). You will notice your tires cool down much, much quicker, at least you have a decent understanding for how they usual feel. They may be already cold after you fill up with gas or something, where as usually they might still be warm.

P.S. - You will most likely be much happier with heat gloves. Heated grips will not keep the backs of your hands (what the wind hits) warm, and if you have bulki gloves the grips will work even less for you.

I had grips and they did work, but I've since pulled them off and will probably get gloves this season. I don't need them yet though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One clarification. This isn't intended to be a replacement for gloves. At the time I was wearing A Stars Vega all weather gloves. I'm not sure I can get gloves much warmer than that without wearing oven mitts.

Are you suggesting heated gloves? What is to stop a dimwit like myself from getting off the bike and forgetting to disconnect? When I bought the bike at the beginning of the season, I bought the pair of gloves that the guy in the shop suggested, as I didn't know any better. Then, I dropped another $100 for my second pair of gloves, the A* Vega's (very nice and keep my hands dry in the rain). I am hesitant to buy teh third set of glvoes this year, only to forget to disconnect them and ruin them the first time out.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
ive only got a second...but...cold tires, and SS bike, dont mix.

on my way to work this morning(low 30's) pulled out of the driveway, got some speed in 1st, grabbed 2nd, throttled up...and bounced off the rev limiter! ..wtf..figured i mis-shifted, so i up shifted.....THEN the tire grabbed!...
i didnt miss the shift, it just spun the tire! felt/sounded like it was in neutral..

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
One clarification. This isn't intended to be a replacement for gloves. At the time I was wearing A Stars Vega all weather gloves. I'm not sure I can get gloves much warmer than that without wearing oven mitts.

Are you suggesting heated gloves? What is to stop a dimwit like myself from getting off the bike and forgetting to disconnect? When I bought the bike at the beginning of the season, I bought the pair of gloves that the guy in the shop suggested, as I didn't know any better. Then, I dropped another $100 for my second pair of gloves, the A* Vega's (very nice and keep my hands dry in the rain). I am hesitant to buy teh third set of glvoes this year, only to forget to disconnect them and ruin them the first time out.

You won't forget. It's not all that dificult to remember, as your hands will be toasty when it's 30° out.

:D

I wouldn't worry about ruining them, but if youre A-star gloves were warm at all during your 31° ride, then heated grips may be adequate for you. I'm a wuss in the cold so I layer everything I can get my hands on. I haven't forgotten to unplug my heated jacket liner, yet.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Also, if you want to continue to ride all year, do research and by the best gear you can find. It will become an addiction, lol.

I have summer gloves, rain gloves, cold gloves, rain suit, leather jackets, leather suit, textile jacket, boots, a couple helmets, and all kinds of bad weather tidbits. It's alot of money and alot of work getting ready some mornings, but it's a whole lot more fun than driving the car!

I probably have a couple grand in just gear. I will have to inventory it now. Curiosity killed the cat.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I've ridden down to 17F with my A* SP1s and while it was chilly it wasn't bad, but my ride to work is only 10 minutes. They do make heated glove liners, as well as liners that you can buy that you wear under your gloves that aren't heated. Just another layer (and living in the NE you know all about layering I'm sure).

Gerbing Heated Glove liners: http://www.gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/liner.html
Non-heated Glove liners: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Glove-Liners-p-1-c-442.html

What I try to do when it's really cold and there's potential for ice is coast through turns. It's difficult of course if you have to stop before the turn but accelerate, pull neutral, then coast through the turn, then get back on it. My rides to work are so short that my tires never really have a chance to warm up so taking it super easy is really the only thing I can do, and there's always tons of ice in my neighborhood as the idiots still run the sprinklers even in the dead of winter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You won't forget. It's not all that dificult to remember, as your hands will be toasty when it's 30° out.

:D

I wouldn't worry about ruining them, but if youre A-star gloves were warm at all during your 31° ride, then heated grips may be adequate for you. I'm a wuss in the cold so I layer everything I can get my hands on. I haven't forgotten to unplug my heated jacket liner, yet.
You may not forget, but my wife is convinced that I could forget my head if it wasn't attached. :)

I appreciate all of the responses and will look at heated gloves vs inserts vs heated grips.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
u can also throw some rubber gloves on then put your riding gloves on till you figure something out.
this is what i do. well i use latex gloves. your hands and fingers will stay nice and warm. heated grips may be nice (idk), seems like ur knuckles and/or fingers would still get cold to me.

just don't take stupid chances on cold tires. i ride less agresive when leaned over in the cold temps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Latex gloves make that much of a difference? I'll give it a shot. It was 28 when I left this morning, and the wind chill at 80mph gets kinda ridiculous after 30 minutes or so. My fingertips, esp pinky & thumb, generally get cold first, and then it slowly spreads to all of the other fingers.

I still have pretty generous chicken strips on my rear tire, and I'm not an overly aggressive rider, but I will treat the corners like I would when it's raining out.

It MIGHT almost be time to put the bike away for the season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts