Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Yeah the old sprakplug debate on if they make more power or dont they?
Just from one dyno run to another you can gain or lose 2 RWHP on theses bikes so, for me after years of trying the Denso Iridium,4 tip bosch (Junk) NEver bought the splitfire as they were just junk...

I just run some NGK CR9E as recommended and call it a day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i guess its a question of NGK CR9E vs. CR9EK (DUEL ELECTRODES). I know people are ganna say it doesn't make a difference but i can only assume that if a fouled plug makes a difference over a clean plug then a duel electrode is ganna make a difference over a single electrode. So i guess the real question is does anybody use the CR9EK plug and if so is there a noticible difference or diadvantage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The reason it doesn't make a difference is because the spark goes to the one with the least resistance. So basically you are still using a single electrode just now the spark can chose one or the other.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your right wouldn't that actually make the plugs last longer thus maintaing horsepower vs. loseing it over time, even if it was a .5 horsepower increase and the plugs are $6 a piece plus another $6 for tax which would be $30 total thats not a bad investment. Normally you would spend $100 just to get a one horsepower increase with the exception of the wire mod.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
it's all about the big picture....add up all teh little stuff and you get good gains.....little ones by themselves are useless....but put them together and you're in business...

right ideas...just keep adding them together.....ie.titanium spinning parts...and so on

Jason

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by 26CRAZYHORSE
So i guess its a question of NGK CR9E vs. CR9EK (DUEL ELECTRODES). I know people are ganna say it doesn't make a difference but i can only assume that if a fouled plug makes a difference over a clean plug then a duel electrode is ganna make a difference over a single electrode. So i guess the real question is does anybody use the CR9EK plug and if so is there a noticible difference or diadvantage?
There is no difference. The electrodes alternate and are never fired at the same time.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Fouling should accur at the same rate regardless how many electrodes. The plug is still firing every time it fires, it doesn't matter which prong it comes off of. (Sounds dumb the way I put it but you get the idea).

·
Registered
67 Posts
There would be a difference from my understanding. Electricity will spark more on the single less resistant side and slightly on the more resistant side. Even tho it's more on one side it's still sparking 2x which will provide more of an even spark and more of a burn. Wether or not it's noticiable would be debatable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I e-mailed NGK regarding the difference in the plug and power gains and this is what they said...

"Hello,
The difference between these plugs is in the firing end design. CR9E is a standard design single ground electrode plug, while CR9EK is a dual ground electrode plug. CR9EK has a deeper projection into the combustion chamber and may cause a clearance problem between the plug and the piston. I do not recommend CR9EK. For a safe upgrade for this motorcycle, I recommend CR9EIX stock no. 3521. This plug should provide easier starts, better performance and efficiency and longer plug life.

Kristopher Zdral
Technical Support Representative
NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), INC."

Now its not just a ? of spark but according to mototuneusa...

"One reason the CR9EK's or CR10EK's make more power is because they take up more space in the combustion chamber, which increases the compression ratio. The second reason is that the spark is .040" / 1mm deeper into the combustion chamber. I think that increases the burning efficiency at high speeds."

So if there is no clearance problem with the CR9EK it makes sense that you are ganna get some kind of horsepower increase, provided that you change your plugs on a regular basis.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
basically cheating the combustion chamber to yelid a slightly higher compression, sort of like chaning to a thinner head gasket.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey u know if u put stickers on like vortex or yoshi or somethin it gives u more horsepower even if u dont have the parts more stickers more hp i swear some one told me it works[}:)]

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
^^ That is true.

--David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.