Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another question, something we dont discuss alot..oil filter change frequency...

im at the second oil change @ 3500km...and was wondering if i need to change the filter....ive been running synthetic after my first oil change at 2000km (i know...i bought it used and the other guy never changed it)...

does the filter need to be changed as often as the oil??
thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's a good habit. I think some will say it would be fine, but the majority is going to say change it every time. I change mine everytime. ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Change every time. It's probably okay if you don't but what if one time it's not? Worth the $7 or $8 I would think...

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,123 Posts
Please go to the black board and write 100 times: "I will change my oil AND FILTER every 2500 miles or 4023.25 kilometers, which ever comes first." :D:D:D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i really do enjoy the relationship and whimsical negativity kawi owners share with each other.....
cheers

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but remember , i also changed my oil and filter like 1700km ago....way ahead of the 4000km...
thing is im doing a super long road trip and i wanna change it (the oil) beofre i get to New-York....where i will change the filter....

sounds ok, or should i put on the flameproof vest?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,123 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto
i really do enjoy the relationship and whimsical negativity kawi owners share with each other.....
cheers
Dude, I wasn't flaming you at all, nor was I trying to be whimsically negative. I was just trying......in a whimsically humorous way, hence the smilies......to stress the importance (IMHO) of changing the filter EVERY TIME I change the oil. My theory is, if you mix clean water with dirty water, what do you get??? Dirty water is what you get. Not a perfect analogy but the best I got at the moment.

Oh yea, I recently changed my oil and filter, did 3 track days (fewer than 300 miles of riding, albeit hard riding), then put around 700-800 road miles on and changed the oil and filter again because I had another track day to prepare for. Better to change more than needed than it is not to change it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
According to the owners manual, it says to change oil and filter every 7500 miles. That doesn't seem right to me, and maybe I misread it but I change mine every 3000 miles since I do alot of commuting and not as much hard riding. But if you change your oil every 3000 and keep your bike for 30,000 miles it will only cost you an extra 40 bucks to change your filter every time for the life of your bike. Not a very big deal IMHO...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
For the life of me I do not understand why you would change your filter every OTHER time. The old oil in the filter will just get recirculated in with the new. Right?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im just extremely constrained on time, thats why i cant do it, cause it involves changing the fairing, and im pretty slow at it..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The more you change it the quicker you will get, practice makes perfect. I'm in the every time group for filter and oil. All the rubbish the oil has ever cleaned from the engine is then filtered and retained in that tin cup we call an oil filter why would you not want to replace it after you've just spent good money on synthetic oil
[:0]

BTW have a safe trip!

·
Registered
226 Posts
You don't have to pull the fairing to change the filter. Maybe the first time, then use a K&N with the nut on it. I use a K&N and change it every other time. On a new motor, you just don't get a lot of dirt, metal, whatever.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I change the filter everytime, but if you are changing your oil every 1000 miles then you are just throwing $50 away everytime.

There is a guy on the ZX-10R board that has his oil anaylized every time, each report come back the same way so far and that is the oil would still be good for several more thousand miles before it reaches the change point.

I run my bike for 2500-3000 miles per oil change. My cars go 5000 between changes. Newer oils are 10x better than what we had 10 or 15 years ago.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
in the future i will liscen to you guys, as this place is full of wisemen (really)...but in the meanwhile, for argument's sake, can we really expect a filter with like 1700km to be so fully saturated with crap as to infect the rest of the clean oil, and render it shitty???
i comute alot, and do twist the trottl from time to time, but no racing or abuse....

cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by urymoto
in the future i will liscen to you guys, as this place is full of wisemen (really)...but in the meanwhile, for argument's sake, can we really expect a filter with like 1700km to be so fully saturated with crap as to infect the rest of the clean oil, and render it shitty???
i comute alot, and do twist the trottl from time to time, but no racing or abuse....

cheers
If you're just talking about a one time deal for this trip, I would just change em both out in New York like you said and leave it as is for now. If your oil only has 1700km on it and a lot of that is commuting you should still be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.